TaeKwonDo side kick made great again (MTKDGA)

On the subject of flexibility. One of the things I noticed is that I cannot get the same release from the hips if I’m not a 100 flexed.

When optimized, It’s like the string that holds it together lets go. And when it does, acceleration explodes.

The tendon says “bye bye, do your thing”, and the leg is set free.

Akin to holding out your arms for a long time and then let them drop by their own gravity.

Here you can see by comparison fully stretched. Same starting pace, but then it just accelerates.

So when decently stretched, it’s a swing.

When fully stretched, it’s a sling shot.

The sling shot is the dangerous one for the receiver. There’s no resistance behind it.

That’s what I was talking about earlier being the highest ideal in TaeKwonDo …Rubbery. Acceleration goes through the roof. Acceleration=power.

Note that a Muay Thai kick cannot travel this long path since it’s suppose to hit with the shin, and it doesn’t chamber so it can’t sling shot. Thus it can’t generate the same momentum.

What the MT kick has in its favor is more efficient speed to power ratio. The bone density of a shin his higher, so they can move slower and still get good power.

But it can never compete with the highest level of a TKD kick in terms of top power output.

No it doesn’t. Go back to and check your physics lessons again.

In Physics, Power can be calculated by multiplying force with velocity. Knowing from Newtons 2nd Law that force is mass times acceleration, the expression for power can also be written as: Mass x Acceleration x Velocity .

Here is the rubbery effect to a (reversed) roundhouse kick. Stiffened before he goes down.

So acceleration doesn’t = power than.

Every object has mass by definition.

The key here is that it’s the acceleration you want to gun for. You do not need to be great at take-off. A kick that accelerates towards the end is much more dangerous than a fast one which doesn’t change speed.

An advantage with a regular take-off is that the opponent won’t be impressed, so you throw a kick that level pace. Maybe you intentionally make him block it.

Then you throw it again and this time crank it up towards the end. He HAS to block it this time. And you lulled him into false security.

The reason flexibility is emphasized in TKD is because when you increase the swing, you (potentially) create more room for acceleration. It’s a numbers game.´I say potentially because there are times when you mess it up and the bigger swing steals momentum…

Imagine if I threw a soccer kick instead. I can still accelerate on it, and it will do damage, but I don’t allow myself the long trajectory to accelerate more and more.

It’s also why haymakers are the most powerful punches. They travel like roundhouse kicks…

@User89 You have two legs and two feet.

Granted, no hands.

How’s your other side?

I am actually left footed in terms of power, but I don’t kick with it anymore. I stretch the side but don’t use it.

I play soccer with my left leg…

Long story short, I got tremendous groin pains when increasing my stretching, and it eminated from the left side…

So I decided since I only train home from now on, I don’t kick with the left. Maybe some weakness there…

Another thing on hands. Fast twitch runs through both hands and legs. The reason you see shitty punchers in TKD is because they just don’t bother to get good with them. So they panic punch whenever you pressure them because they never actually applied punches.

Here’s a TKD WC winning an MMA bout with his hands. So don’t think there aren’t good punchers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RI-ukO5iv0

We fight like we train.

My training days are over.

Or I trap it then watch you hop around on one leg for a bit.

Who knows.

No they don’t. They revert back to instincts because they lack experience handling pressure from punches… They don’t punch the way they are trained on pads.

That’s why these kicks are best for SD. They snap back.

Muay thai kicks are easiest to grab.

I always called that a wheel kick. Or spin kick.

How would you know?

1 Like

Looky here.

You’re the only one training extensively on pads. Trying to be kind here.