TaeKwonDo side kick made great again (MTKDGA)

Aside from the obvious that they snap…

I added leg grabs in sparring with a guy who was very high level. And to my surprise, I wasn’t even close to grabbing it.

I thought you didn’t spar.

4 years ago I did weekly.

The thing I would worry about though with a wrestler is that he can duck under it, although I’ve never seen it timed in a competiton.

Maybe they just can’t convince their brains to do it…too much self preservation in the brain.

You think a wrestler would be too afraid of your kicking to shoot in on you and slam you harder than a screen door in a hurricane?

Stop beating on child wrestlers.

1 Like

I have never seen them duck under a kick. I’ve seen them grab shin kicks. Grabbing a foot that stays in the air less than a second is harder. I couldn’t do it.

Did you know there is take down in wrestling literally called a duck under?

Sigh. I wasn’t talking about wrestling matches.

I don’t know if a wrestler would be confident to run into me throwing a strike to stuff the motion. I doubt that.

The option to duck under a kick is there, but I have never seen it done in MMA.

They duck when nothings happening and the striker gets too close.

What exactly is your experience with wrestling and wrestlers again?

Throwing one off the mat in high school. Ever heard of the expression: don’t judge a book by its cover?

No.

Have you heard.

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.

More of a knee tap. Than ducking under.

1 Like

I had a douche bag colleague who did Muay Thai and Boxing, bragging about beating up beginners, who said he would grab my leg.

I said: not a fully commited kick. you will be in pain and weak to get ahold of it (if he even stands up)

He: okey not you, but TKD guys in general.

I tried to explain that leg grabs are very difficult when someone goes full blast. You need a lot of training for it.

He sort of back pedalled and agreed when he thought about it.

My experience was walking into fire… You just can’t recieve the chock trauma and grab at the same time. The body want to protect itself.

You can if you set it up but you always have to set things up, even footwork e.g. you don’t just walk into range of the other guy you punch your way in setting up your footwork with the jab. Like anything else in a fight it’s subject to “friction” (in the Clausewitzian sense) and it requires you to make the other guy lackadaisical after throwing the kick or have better timing and footwork.

Mabye if you kick harder than is normal. Which you don’t. Or if your kicks are not going where they are supposed to. Which you might do.

Or you calf kick really well.

Elbows in, chin down

random question, you used to do boxing right?

Sorry completely random question, thought i saw something like that in the past. Just out curiosity, no follow up. :slight_smile:

Let’s get back to side kicks shall we?

I have two weeks free gym access. Let’s see if I move a real heavy bag with my side kick.

This is going to be exciting!!!

Joe Rogan is the meausuring stick for normal.

1 Like

I did it for a month as a bet sort of. They didn’t think i would managed the cardio. I lied to the Boxing coach that I did Kickboxing so that I could move up a level.

It wasn’t totally untrue since we do spar above the waist KB rules in ITF. So instead of giving a dissertation about the differences, I just said Kickboxing.

The sparring range from TaeKwonDo translated excellently to boxing.

I Didn’t spar anyone good enough to close the gap on me. Best guy I sparred had been there 2 years. Good on the pads. Bad at sparring… I was the opposite.

I wished I did some more inside boxing. It was more of the same for me since I sparred in TKd the same range classical boxers do - jab, stick and move.

We started sparring day one in TaeKwonDo so I had to use my hands a lot, since my kicks weren’t developed. And being fast, I didn’t need to be “technical” with my hands. Just bait them in and counter.

Apologies for the confusion, i was asking @doofaloofa

In terms of your response, it’s strange that the range worked well for you. It was difficult for me to adjust to boxing ranges coming from a kicking background (TCMA/Sanshou). I found I spent more time far closer to my opponent than i would have using legs. That being said, i’m reading your posts with a bit more than a grain of salt (few bags). :slight_smile: