TaeKwonDo side kick made great again (MTKDGA)

And what do you thinks happens with TKD practitioners in their 40’s, 50’s, 60’s, 70’s, etc?

That’s great to know, so real question. I’ve fairly keen on taking up some wrestling or BJJ. I wrestled for a few years in primary school, so i mean don’t remember much. I don’t have great knees, which is why i box and do things like cycling (ligament/tendon reconstructions). I’ve been working on my knees pretty solidly for a few years now (i’m 40). How much could i get away with in either off those (wrestling, BJJ)? I’m thinking probably not much, i’m assuming it’s pretty heavy on the knees. My flexibility it good, cardio is good (resting heart rate 49 - 52), can do things like burpees (from a knees perspective), i don’t do any heavy weight lifting. So i can still train hard, but in exercises you can control the ranges you work, your form, etc. Dynamic activity is where things get gray.

I’m really keen to do something on the side, something with a bit of legs again, or some grappling, but my brain tells me probably not. How are your knees? I was thinking maybe even private coaching where you can control it more. But if those weight shifts and twist are hell on the knees from the get go, then maybe i should spend my time somewhere else.

Sorry bit off topic and long winded, it’s something i’ve been thinking about a lot, thought i’d take a gap and ask just to get a different perspective.

They can still maintain a better level than him. You only start getting real noticeable, fundamental stiffness age 65. And you can still improve it then.

Before that you lose height to your kicks but nothing like him with no mobility in his upperbody.

They should at least be somewhat flexibility if all else suck.

If boxing coaches started teaching bad punches, what good is left in it?

I’m convinced however that there’s two main forms of flexibility.

I can twist my hip and back infinitely. but kicking height is average. Some people seem to be the opposite. They kick very high but they don’t extend their hips as much.

Tell me that you didn’t make that comment being less than 65 years old.

1 Like

I read studies. They all use 65 as the threshold.

Asians remain flexible their entire life for that matter. It’s western life style.

What kind of point is that? Vast majority of people who EVER “take” TKD are shitty at it.

Stiffness starts as early as one’s 30’s, especially if one has had repetitive injuries, or acute injuries.
If often is present in one’s forties.
It very often is present in one’s fifties.
Tae Kwon Do stylists, who have been practicing for decades, in particular often start transitioning to below the waist kick as they crest into their forties and fifties,
And many of them end up needing hip replacements due to overuse, repetitive injury, and resulting avascular necrosis from cumulative small injuries to the femoral head due to the trauma of their sport / practice.
They often end up needing knee replacements as well.

the bare minimum is that instructors aren’t as shitty. Otherwise they might as well teach other.

It all kind of depends on how hard you go in your training.

I think BJJ would be safer than Judo.

My knees are OK. I had my ACL torn in Judo in the early 80s, had it fixed in 1987, it’s still working.

I’m 20 years older than you.

Privates might be a good idea. Judo, or anyother kind of standup grappling can be very rough on your knees.

1 Like

Right, and your qualifications/experience as a TKD coach are?

My instructor is 69 and still does the full side splits.

Not that you need to but this age thing is bullshit.

That instructor with a dirty foot was maximum 50.

That would probably be a lot safer than general class rolling or open mats.

You could also try the Gracie University online program if you had a careful and prudent training partner. Their curriculum was specifically designed for situational drilling to mitigate injury.

Except, as you well know, with regards to the potential for spinal / cervical injuries, from an exuberant training partner attempting guillotines, neck cranks, spinal twists, and stacks.

1 Like

Oh, sweet summer child…

Old but dedicated

Example of 1, LOL.

My yoga instructor was in her 60s, she was quite fit and flexible. Amazing balance, too.

The caveats Ieft out, thanks.

Any middle aged person getting involved in combat sport needs to exercise great caution.

1 Like

No, it is not bullshit. I can attest to that from personal experience.

To the point you can’t perform a roundhouse kick at dick level?