My spinning side kick has a higher force than Rogans

to be fair valid at what is a question in itself

I know many a moron who thinks mma will save them against a fucking gun

I think if you are preparing to get in to gun battles you should be prepared to die.

To be honest, being prepared to die is what sleep is for, and the state of conscious living while we are at it.

My point is, valid for what purpose? Personal entertainment, sport, social engagement, employment, close protection, becoming a weeb? All things to consider with valid. It’s like when people say fitness, it’s about fit for purpose. The purpose is key

I was saying valid in a way that is better at hand to hand combat. Some people think they’re martial art is badass just because they can beat up a bunch of taekwondo guys and it’s annoying. I guess you can say better at self defense too since you brought up the gun argument sorta.

Really you’ve met people who do mma and think they can beat someone with a gun? I’ve learned the judo goshin jutsu where they train you to deal with a gun but even I don’t think I could disarm someone without dying or at least getting shot/severely injured.

Yes I have,

I’ve also had debates with people like ‘boxing is the ultimate martial art’ and such because X fighter is so strong, and they think just boxing alone got them that strong.

Like all matters, people want to think they are the main character and thus able to handle anything and that they like something therefore its the best.

From a self defense aspect, learning to fight is one part, but de-escelation and awareness of your surroundings, good cardio and being able to fuckin run like the wind are earlier lines of defense until cornered.

On a less serious note, I guess its Judo vs Glock-ushin karate?

1 Like

There is definitely a mentality in the combat sports world that tackling someone is usually the best approach.

I agree with that, and I think tackling someone with a gun is a great idea. If it gets you killed…weren’t you about to possibly die anyway?

That guy must have practiced shooting at targets his whole life. Bottles, cans, old glass windows. But unless he’s been hit with a meteor in the shape of a human, he’s green and weak in that department.

Tackle fu wins most battles. It’s the key defensive maneuver in football for a reason. This is why I think kicking is dumb. Once again, it assumes you have control of your feet.

Never assume anything; if the Devil turned you into a noodle and told you to fight, you’d noodle through or die.

Valid as in what is on the box should be in the box.

The components should work. Punches should hurt people, takedowns should take people down, defences should defend stuff.

Going in to weasel words like self defence is where you run in to problems and non valid martial arts have places to hide.

So we know an arm drag is valid. We know a two on one is valid. We know a sweep is valid we know a kimoura is valid.

If someone has a gun and for some reason i am fighting them. At least i am using moves that are going to work.

The last thing you want is tools that are going to break. Especially when so much else can go wrong.

Again, that depends on what the class is advertised as and what you want out of it.

If I want to train will some absolute killers in BJJ, that is valid, and if they offer what they claim, even better.

If I wanted knockdown for fighting, that is valid, but I wouldnt get that in a family shotokan club, and even worse, if they offer an intensity, its not just an invalid approach but invalid advertisement.

This works on multiple levels of want, what is offered, if it fits my needs. Validity is multidimensional in this regard.

It’s like when I get asked ‘whats the best leg workout?’ The question is ‘for what?’ A strongman’s training will look different than a marathon runners or powerlifters, a recreational to a proffessional athlete will also have differences. Needs analysis and other considerations, but then we get into the wants of the individual.

Most of us here want to be as competent and fighting as we can, but I am considering alternative wants and perspectives here.

In your example, what works will differ on the situation as well. Too many variables in self defense life and death scenarios, the arm drag needs to fit the task.

And you are spot on on the weasel words, but self defense is a lot more than just ‘hit that guy hard’ because there are multiple considerations to take with your safety. It’s multifaceted.

1 Like

Not if you hit really hard. Which is partly the point.

You can nuance and specific to the environment all day. But a guy can negate that by just knocking you straight out.

If you can hit really hard then a lot of those nuances work better.

I mean that even made the other two guys want to negotiate a lot harder than they were when they were confronting little guys.

1 Like

Awesome punch. Thanks for the link

1 Like

I had to check into this guy.

It’s really weird to see someone pretending to be a Detroit police officer using a weapon that is also illegal to carry in Michigan, last I checked. Which was 10 seconds ago.

What’s with this culty hand thingy. God, this stuff creeps me out.

urban-q3bah0wc2hkn9jerd7ytdplacb17wzgdeod0hnauu8

post-malone-q3ba3ktgat5z6cxwvwpy7lqwevb6sv2lw4dyc58luo

family-survival-training-q3bav5f0ruwrqkw3vtrzcn9npresl8j5olap4ccvc0

training-program-q3basm8ocxfygekjo8d64s9y3dw6ulh7020lki423k

Watch the video again.

He tells the cameraman five times “stay there”, and by the end has circled around and behind and basically sucker punched.

That wasn’t just hitting hard, that was well coordinated footwork and situational awareness, designed to deliver a perfect KO on video.

Flawless victory. Plausible deniability on top.

My guess is it is a version of the fence.

Detroit dust is a weird one oddly successful and oddly a great example of not valid.

Be impressed with my obscure pop culture reference.

1 Like

Christopher, of the Many Saints.

Another contradiction in motion, in fact, if you listen carefully during the intro and outro to that movie, you’ll hear his ghost lamenting in Hell because he sold his soul to this thing of ours.

Which brings me back to the martial arts. What do you know about chasing Russian special operatives through the Pine Barrens?

If you’re not aware, the Pine Barrens of New Jersey are the most haunted place on the planet. Of all US state legends, the Devil popping up out of a woman’s vagina is unique.

1 Like

Do you mean “if I want to train with some absolute killers I would train bjj.”? Like I was saying before bjj guys think they’re better than taekwondo or the average karate guys so they think they’re badass.

This is our average karate.

(Ok. This is our only karate.)

Average aikido.

1 Like

You instinctively went for valid.

Here’s some valid.

Muay Bouk

This guy is a fucking toolbox. We’ve roasted him, here, before.

(edit) for example:

1 Like