Cryptocurrency Discussion: BTC, ETH, DOGE, WTF

I have a VOIP server shelf in my garage collecting dust. I don’t know how to mail it securely without breaking it in the process or I’d just give it to you.

Then drops like a sack of shit.

Im in a group of finance guys that are into crypto.

Was funny watching them all yesterday during the crash.

Hodlrs of course give zero fax

1 Like

What would be the advantage/benefit of setting up a lightning node?

Id be interested in doing this too perhaps.

As I understand it, you throw a Pi on it and it basically pays for itself, maybe a little more. As you’re clearing the transactions, you get a piece of the pie (lol).

1 Like

What kind of voodoo sorcery is this?

1 Like

Yo, man, I have an idea about creating a solar power cost efficient mining setup. Unfortunately, I don’t know enough about crypto mining or the hardware involved to create such a beast myself.

My limited understanding is that the major overhead cost is power rather than equipment.

It’s just that you can make a lot of power cheaply year round with some solar panels parked in the right place and a few batteries. The problem with solar for large infrastructure projects is that storage is an issue but in this case, it would really only need to store more temporary charges with higher drain to meet the demands of the processors.

I’d be willing to throw 10 or 20 grand down on the idea if the math checks out.

All I would need is to find some low cost real estate with a lot of sunlight to park some cheap prefab buildings to show proof of concept.

I discussed this before with a crypto guy but the problem then was the high cost of entry and the rapidly out-dated equipment. Storage for electricity is often the biggest problem with solar but what I’m thinking wouldn’t really have as much need for infrastructure owing to the fact that you’d only run the equipment in the daylight hours and it wouldn’t be worked into the grid.

If you went all in on old school renewable power sources, I think this could be done a lot better than what most people try to do. The conventional methods of mining farms don’t take efficient advantage of old school environmental control techniques. They do silly things like relying on expensive air conditioning to get rid of waste heat from grow lights when old school cheaper alternatives can better meet industrial scale needs.

I was thinking maybe somewhere near Vegas in case I get bored. Thoughts? Feel free to tell me I’m crazy and I’m going to lose my shirt. I am crazy but, if I may make a bold statement, my ability to hold onto money dwarfs my ability to sound like a lunatic. My super power isn’t being a natural horticulturist or car restorer, it’s doing it all cheaper than the other guy.

The 4 main variables involved in crypto: speed, electricity, cooling, and access. And speed.

2 Likes

Cooling and electricity I think can be done rather cheaply with inexpensive alternatives. I don’t know what speed and access are with this though. Do you mean processor speed?

yeah, the pure computation aspects are hard on gear, and access just means “can you interwebz,” 'cause if not, it’s wasted energy.

The heat cannot be underestimated.

Just two of my cards (3080ti and 3070) mining on separate pics running at around 58 deg make a large room pretty damn toasty.

Will be easier in winter , the rig with 3 x 2060 and 1 1650 is insane for heat too.

If you can get free electricity to both remove the heat and air con you will be in a good place but I’m already getting a ventaxia fan in my home computer room window for when I’m not there .

Air con in the office not a problem .

If you are interested in mining with graphics cards if you can buy them at MSRP then you are looking at 7-10 months pay back roughly before you see profit BUT the already mined coins can go up and down exponentially.

Also (I stole this from a blog) the rigs are like a tamagotchi, you really have to enjoy tending to them because they have character and do strange things regardless how well you set them up .

Interestingly enough allot of people here that used to be in your business illegally here moved to mining during the pandemic as they had already bypassed the electricity, had the space and cash so it was similar profit for them but without the risk of stinking up the whole street when the crops were matured .
They tend to their mines in the same way they tend to their crops .

Check in from time to time and adjust and assist as required .
The problem is getting the GPU’s and reasonable prices if at all .

1 Like

I do like NVidia because I’m a bit of a 3D geek, and CUDA seems to go very well with rendering. Have not used it for much else than rendering and gaming.

But, I’m also a cheap mofo, so my current rig is a 1050ti at 8gb.

I’m running at 57C just browsing.

Shit, it jumped up on me because I looked at it:

That’s quite high for near idle?

I’m really interested in lightening nodes.

Do you think they could become more profitable as the bitcoin supply runs out and it’s adopted more mainstream ?

I do run multiple screens. It’s basically that temp at start-up.

As far as lightning goes, I have no idea. A colleague said I should do it, and it seemed like a worthwhile pursuit, but dunno.

I may join you and attempt it blindly once I finished cobbling together this gaming server.

1 Like

An interesting part of that is I used to be YUGE into Second Life, and was doing scripties and stuff there for money. I still have a couple hundred $USD worth of that money. Not exactly crypto, but there are some of the same issues with exchange etc., I think.

So, this song has been popping up in my sleepytime playlist for a couple weeks, now, and it appears to be at least referentially linked to Doge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onjPLuZp6hY

what happens when both the thoughts AND the prayers are processed?

LOL @ my several-million of SHIB the past few days.

Pumpin and dumpin like Trumpkin with bumpkins.

raise the roof GIF

1 Like