Wonder Woman 84 and Consent

New rule: if you post a link to TV Tropes you need to do 50 pushups in penance for the hours of everyone’s time you’ve then wasted sending them down a network of rabbit holes.

1 Like

You just need more self discipline. I got to the Macguffin thing and as able to stop.

1 Like

@kimjonghng

OK, so this whole thing has me fascinated, really.

First off, I did watch WW 2017. With my last ex wife. I was not impressed. Ex2 loved it though. She always liked women kicking ass.

So, I found this on wiki (please don’t judge me). Apparently the writer was using a “body swap” trope. Which was apparently OK in the 80s (the movie was set in the 80s), but, as we have seen, not such a good idea nowadays with all the sensitivity to “consent” etc.

So, maybe the writer was keeping in “period” by using the body swap trope (with a sexual encounter, too), as a way of staying true to the 80s “feel” of the movie. Obviously, that was not the best of ideas, but from what I’ve seen the movie (ww84) had enough other problems that that alone (the “rape”) was not was really made it not that great a movie.

Controversy[edit]

The plot point of Steve inhabiting the body of another man, credited as “Handsome Man”, was criticized for putting his body into dangerous situations and being used without his consent, including a sex scene between Diana and Steve. Criticism was aimed at the film’s lack of acknowledgment of what happened to the man while Steve was inhabiting his body, as well as Diana and Steve not appearing to consider the issue of consent, even if Steve coming back but in another man’s body was not any of the characters’ intention.[162][163] The Mary Sue described the event as a rape and strongly condemned it.[164] Jenkins replied in agreement to a fan’s tweet that tries to explain there were no issues with this plot aspect, that the film was following the trope of a body swap, similar to Big or Freaky Friday . Bonnie Burton, writing for CNet , stated that while this may have been Jenkins’ intention, the body swap trope may not be as politically correct in the current period as it was in the 1980s.[165]

Wasn’t the chr Tom Hanks played in Big (unable to give consent due to being under the age of consent) raped by the adult female lead?

Not a great defence against it not being rape IMO

Yeah that was rape too, if she knew the guy was really a child. I don’t think she did at that point in the story though.

Yes, and that is a far more serious offense (even though she was unaware). He was a little boy in an adult’s body and I’m kind of weirded out they chose to include such a scene.

Which reminds me: ignorance is no excuse in the eyes of the law. If someone lies about their age, you’re still on the hook for a felony and all that goes with being on the sex offender registry as a rapist for life.

Me, above:

I don’t think they actually had sex in Big, though I haven’t seen the movie in a very long time. In fact, I remember one of the funniest scenes being when she asks if she’s going to stay the night with him, and he says “You mean sleep over? shrug Mmm, okay. But I get to be on top!” And he gestures to…a bunk bed.

BTW, here’s some research on how intuitions regarding body swapping work: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/j.1551-6709.2011.01172.x

Emma Cohen wrote a book on the topic, which is where I got the Yoruba thing: https://www.amazon.com/Mind-Possessed-Cognition-Possession-Afro-Brazilian/dp/0199767440

1 Like

What’s wrong with these people? The problem isn’t the trope in itself. Body swapping is simply what it says-- swapping bodies. It’s not inherently nonconsensual.

This is like doing a buddy cop movie in which one of the cops beats the snot out of somebody for no good reason, and when someone comments on it, saying “Well, I guess the 80’s buddy cop trope isn’t PC anymore.”

(And can the term “PC” just fucking die, already?)

1 Like

What’s wrong with them?

Gotta get those clicks. Now anybody with an opinion, no matter how poorly informed, can get their now-more-than 15 minutes of fame?

If the offender gets convicted.

I don’t think you understood Phrost’s compliment.

Remember, this is Bullshido. “Pushups” means you’re winning.

I find pushups rather painful, unfortunately. The squeaking/grinding of my shoulder joints is annoying, too.

1 Like

Watched the movie again.

I’m not convinced there’s a consent issue anymore. The Dreamstone reshapes reality, it doesn’t do spiritual possession. That scene where Steve appears isn’t a case of one body entering another, it’s one person entering existence and another becoming non-existent.

The Dreamstone itself ceases to exist in the same way for most of the movie.

You can’t rape something that doesn’t exist in the real world.

The Dreamstone is the Reality Stone of the DC Universe except the Infinity Stones aren’t McGuffins. They’re all individually important Unobtainium plot coupons for their own movies.

1 Like

Now that’s some real insight, thanks!

The SJWs saw the movie through their own filters, apparently.

Big surprise…

Well this is awkward…

1 Like

The film reps were justifying it due to body swap movies in the 80s so in their hearts they knew they were bad

Somebody posted that already.

Try to keep up…

I was reiterating it in response to wabbit’s explanation

That’s doesn’t matter to me. I’m talking DC Universe, not film rep PR.

Dianna is innocent.

Maybe you should contact the studio and give them your analysis