Wonder Woman 84 and Consent

Seems like a beautiful spiritual statement to me. I love you no matter the body you are inhabit, because I love your spirit/soul.

Que romantic…

2 Likes

The elephant in the room is that a lot of guys wouldn’t exactly cry themselves to sleep if they woke up naked next to Gal Gadot and the knowledge she had unconscious sex with them.

That’s just not how men are wired.

“The elephant in the room” idiom is supposed to reference a subject that nobody is willing to acknowledge. Not a fact that is completely obvious to everyone, and also almost entirely irrelevant.

You say potato, I say potato.

Hey, don’t call the men who aren’t cool with being raped by Gal Gadot “potatoes.”

I don’t wanna be raped by ANYONE. If it was Gal Gadot that’d be even worse because she’s got enough money and fame to just dominate you if she was feeling like that. And you’re getting raped while unconscious, so its not like you remember the epic sex.

2 Likes

The other guy isn’t dead, and nothing suggests he is. In fact, Steve goes away and the other guy takes control again instantly. We have no answer to if the other guy had awareness or not, and since the wishes were not his and he had no consent involved as far as we know to let some dude hijack his body, we can assume he didnt as he most likely wasnt notified.

This creates a problem that he either is conscious and cant consent and witnesses all this, or he’s dormant and his body is being used like the kill bill hospital rape stuff while main girl is in a coma. Lack of ability to consent is treated to my knowledge almost exclusively as not consent.

It would have been easier to have Steve just come back without the possession shit

2 Likes

Doesn’t matter if she’s hot to some, some of us prefer to get to know people we might be sleeping with. ‘Not how guys are wired’ is bollocks.

1 Like

Not to mention, some men are gay.

And yeah-- whatever voodoo she used to do a Steve transplant into some other guy’s flesh suit, couldn’t it have been used to simply bring him back to life? Or maybe Whoopi Goldberg would’ve been up for another spirit possession?

1 Like

That makes better sense.

One wonders why they even came up with the gimmick?

So Wonderwoman is essentially an accessory to rape?

I sure as hell don’t want to be raped by anybody, male or female, no matter how good looking or famous they are. Last time I checked I’m cis gender male and only interested in some women.

1 Like

MacGuffin AKA plot coupon.

There’s a funny Alien tie in here. The facehuggers were specifically designed as a rape MacGuffin.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PlotCoupon

But a Macguffin and a plot coupon are not the same thing ?

A MacGuffin (a.k.a. McGuffin or maguffin) is a term for a motivating element in a story that is used to drive the plot. It serves no further purpose. It won’t pop up again later, it won’t explain the ending, it won’t do anything except possibly distract you while you try to figure out its significance. In some cases, it won’t even be shown. It is usually a mysterious package/artifact/superweapon that everyone in the story is chasing.

To determine if a thing is a MacGuffin:

• Is the nature of the item interchangeable? If it is an object of great value which is important because of said value, rather than any properties of the item itself, there is little difference between a diamond, priceless painting, or exotic statue; the quest surrounding it would differ only trivially. The plans surrounding its theft would be largely the same, the mission to transport it to a specific place would be largely the same, the investigation to locate it would be the same, etc. Imagine when reading the script, replace the name of the item and ask if the story is all that different.note
  • Is the nature of the item irrelevant to the plot? All MacGuffins have some extraordinary value, whether it be monetary, prestige, historical significance, supernatural power, or forgotten knowledge. These things are often, but not always, explained in detail within the story so that the audience understands the desire. But these elements are not vital to build the plot; any usefulness from having the item is either nonexistent (often due to No MacGuffin, No Winner) or relegated to the coda of the story and the plot and the desire for the item is over. In other words, if whatever function the MacGuffin may have is actually relevant to the plot (such as a magic sword being used to cut something that is normally uncuttable), it is technically not a true MacGuffin.

If it passes both of these criteria, then congratulations - it’s a MacGuffin!

Kudos to you for being an enlightenedvand thoughtful member of the species.

Unfortunately your male peers are mostly a bunch of stupid savage animals.

Edit: I could pay lip service to feigning belief in man’s better nature except I know the secret. Man’s better nature is a lie we were told when we were young by people that were lied to in the same way by the precedent generation that raised them and for every generation that advances the myth on the next generation the myth gets more and more absurdly distant from the reality. Like Santa Claus.

I wouldn’t kick Gal Gadot out my bed if I was certain she was going to drag me down to hell halfway across 2nd base. Worth it.

1 Like

It’s both.

A plot device (in this case the Dreamstone) can be both things at the same time, and a plot coupon can consist of chained Mcguffins in a sequence.

A Mcguffin can also reappear at the climax or end (which it did in WW84).

Basically, the stone was an evil McGuffin chain of Wonka Tickets, wish and all. And it didn’t have to be a stone. Idol, rock, ring, whatever.

It did its work (creating both the villains and the love interest), just to set the plotlines of each character, then was discarded early, vanished for almost the entire movie.

At the end popped back with the final wish, which is this trope.

No macguffin for anybody.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NoMacGuffinNoWinner

I still believe in Santa.

1 Like

This helps. The reactions, tho.

I see what they diid now.

1 Like

The stupid thing is. if the magic mcguffin in the film can build walls around cities, make nukes from nothing, turn people into ungodly animal hybrids and make shit for people, why do they need to even do this? It can do basically anything and it just makes the whole thing messier. Was it to be more ‘different?’ fuck knows at this point.

Friends of my used to say given how the DCEU has gone wonder woman one being enjoyable by comparison to others was a fluke and with the second one, I honestly feel like that has more weight to it now.

1 Like

So fanbois could up their WW fantasy grade?

no idea. It’s a strange decision none-the-less.

I just hope the next one if we get one with how this franchise is going, does a better job