What first brought you to Bullshido?

Holy shit dude. I didn’t think there was anyone here with such close ties to that asshat. I’m glad to hear you’re doing better.

1 Like

Initially? Having grown disillusioned with the Booj and wanting to meet other martial artists to talk to. Eventually found this place better for just general conversation in the community. I found this place got me thinking more critically about more than just kicking people’s asses and took me down a path to spot logical fallicies, bullshit and how to counter it from people in my life and it rounded me out (or so I feel it has, to some degree).

4 Likes

I can’t remember.

1 Like

Boredom, I want to know others opinion on stuff

I remember it was an awesome forum many years ago, full of calling out fake martial artists and psuedo scientific explanations of “death touch” and other such nonsense.

I remember regularly reading the forum as a guest when looking for information on many martial arts related matters, perhaps back in the 00s or so. Probably mostly about the usual suspects: Gene LaBell chocking out Seagal, Dux being a fraud, etc. I remember reading some interesting threads with comments by Mark Tripp, and reading about the Throwdowns. This was back when I had very spotty access to the web, and when the martial arts community here in my third world country was very resistant to the evidence of the UFC and MMA as a whole, so the community was a welcome difference to my being the lone NHB nut in my neck of the woods. I remember actively looking for discussion on the forum on the FIGHT QUEST tv show after a while of not having read much online, and I think I actually made an account only back in 2015 so I could chime in on a couple of things. I was a lurker for many years before making that account basically because I never felt I was knowledgeable enough to have much worthwhile to say when compared to most other contributors. There came however a time when age and injuries made my practice more and more limited and I guess I arrived at the cliched point in one’s life when, as you can no longer do much, you want more to talk about it, instead. Or maybe I found it funny to become the token resident krotty guy, I dunno.

What first brought me to Bullshido? Why, Ninjas, of course!
That and samurai-loving weeabos who charge their pupils 500 bucks for stupid self-help seminars.

2 Likes

Man did I believe some stupid shit before I came here

1 Like

LOL, I was here back in 2003, when it was still called Mcdojo.com, one month after it’s creation. Found this via the old “askme.com

I loved how everybody was telling me I was full of shit when I said I was a Kung-fu practitioner who also fought MMA and Kickboxing professionally.

5 Likes

Someone posted my name a few times, and so I chose to appear.

We (collective we) have some catching up to do. I have some questions to axe you.

I did spin three times in front of a bathroom mirror…

1 Like

The cloud of sulfurous smoke was fucking highly annoying…

Then you started posting!

I’d worked in a very violent place and coming away from that I wanted to do something that “centred” me, that gave me some of that sweet “mushin”, that moving meditation, that “peace” that martial arts is meant to provide. So I started training in TKD and HKD as they were around the corner from my work and they didn’t have all that “aggression”. After years doing a little bit of everything, I figured I needed to stop fighting and become more of a martial artist.

I started getting frustrated with the nonsensical application of things in TKD and HKD but persisted in a vain hope of getting that “clear mind”, however, HKD introduced me to the idea of joint lock pain compliance, which reignited my interest in the UFC that I used to spend countless hours watching when younger, but now I had the budding interest in the grappling side of things. Also, based on my experience with violence to that point, the realisation that I knew very little of joint locks was of concern.

So I started researching and came across the site in January 2009. It was either this one of MAP, from memory, I signed up to both but wrote some retarded post here (like super cringe retarded, bro, I can’t believe I immortalised myself with that) that got me roasted, and that roasting kept me coming back because I kept arguing.

It wasn’t until I called someone out and Omega essentially said, “you know what happens if you do that here” and I didn’t, but did the old “lurk more, post less” strategy and looked through some threads to find that a challenge issued meant that I’d have to fight the person, which was fine in my mind at the time due to not understanding anything about fighting but having the ego of a giant, and that I would have to pay for the expense of their travel.

I liked this as a concept, because it meant that the witty repartee had to be on point because the threads couldn’t be wadded up with wankers posturing about their fighting skills. Put up or shut up.

Anyway, a couple of months in and I’d changed to BJJ and MMA.

1 Like

I was recruited by DerAuslander to participate in some discussions about old school TKD (I.e. with facing punching, foot sweeps and some throws allowed in sparring) vs Oly style foot tag. Since then Bullshido members helped me find my first Jiu Jitsu academy to train at (Phil Cardella’s Relson Gracie Academy in Austin) and the Judo dojo I currently train at when I moved up to Cleburne from Austin (Ruben Martin Training Center in Burleson, TX).

Shaolin-Do/Chinese Shaolin Centers Mcdojo Bullshido doubt.

Cleburne! My mom lived there, for a bit, in her youth. Next time you’re in ATX, hit me, @jnp, and @Phrost up, we can have a drink and such.

1 Like

Not a drink, a shot!

@LoTEA Don’t do it. These are all people of ill repute.

1 Like

Fuck, I can barely remember.

It was back at or near the beginning. I was a long-time regular member of a number of MA related discussion boards (all the way back to rec.martial-arts on Usenet). Cyberkwoon. A few I don’t even remember. About dot martialarts dot com, where I became the Guide for a time.

One of the things I learned in the early days was the astonishing amount of bullshit in MA. Most of the places I hung out, sought out, were places with implicit or explicit cultures that encouraged people to cross hands, to pressure test. I became aware of mcdojo dot net (or dot com, or whatever it was) I think? Was that the predecessor, or am I misremembering?

Anyway, I became a member here pretty early on, though I didn’t post a huge amount, as I was busy on other sites and my own writing.

I was very definitely a member here by the time the boys from Fight Club in Osbourne Park (Western Australia) had their showdown with the deluded folk from Yellow Bamboo. I took a friend/trainee with me to the meet, along with my camera, because it was on my regular beach and bullshit needs to be shown to the world. I posted our video in the same thread as Fraser posted his, as well as writing about it over on About dot com. I still have the tape.

I kinda drifted away from training with one thing and another, and didn’t have much to say about MA for a while. Shifted to fighting against bullshit in other areas. Wasn’t until I ran across Phrost on Twitter that I realised how long it had been, and looked the place up again. Was very pleased to see the way the place has developed.

Had to remake my login, but it seems my old account was vacant enough for me to renew my newbie status with the same name. Gonna try to re-engage. The last couple of years have been a bit of a period of revisiting some of the old places, and rediscovering their value.

-Geoff Rogers

Back in about 2013 I was training in a martial art called “Shou Shu” aka Moore’s Karate. Little was known about it other than it being mostly a chain of martial arts schools in California.

They liked to brag about being “Bad asses” and that they (allegedly) taught street fighting techniques that really work, etc. They liked to claim that Shou Shu was the most lethal martial art etc. It is basically just Kenpo Karate with Kung Fu animal style techniques mixed in here and there.

I found a post back then called “My 3 Years of Shou Shu” or something like that, where a guy was detailing his stories of absurdity in the behavior of some of the instructors and the art itself. I found it amusing because some of it was true, based on my own related experiences. That post doesn’t exist anymore. I am thinking I should post my own, just talking about my experience, because I trained in that style for around 3 years also, I have my own stories.

3 Likes