UFC 264 discussion

He’s not a pro MMA fighter.

Anyway I’ll leave this here. Connor is exactly at the age when lifestyle in the past causes significant cortical bone loss in athletes, but especially heavy drinkers like Connor, Irish curse and all.

Vitamin D, calcium, and hormones play vital roles in ensuring optimal bone health. When there is an imbalance between exercise and nutrition…bone health is compromised and can lead to bone stress injuries and early osteoporosis.

You’re like WebMD. You have a back ache or a skin rash or an ingrown toenail, and if you read long enough, it’s always going to conclude you have cancer.

Maybe he kicked him in the elbow real fucking hard, Rabbit. I know it’s crazy and all, but what if?

1 Like

Also, while we’re discussing this fight, let’s talk about the atrocious commentary from Stephen A. Smith, Teddy Atlas and Max Kellerman. Ermahgherd!

It was so bad. I mean, everybody already knows Smith is a fucking ass clown and knows fuckall about MMA. Kellerman is in my opinion the best boxing analyst ever, but he shouldn’t be talking about MMA either. He’s not qualified. But Teddy Atlas was the fucking worst this weekend. He actually tried to have something profound to say and he was just completely clueless.

2 Likes

You’re exhibiting limited two dimensional logic here as well as a lack of context, but I didn’t say that kick didn’t contribute.

Differential diagnosis requires eliminating the “plausible”. You haven’t eliminated any competing or correlating factor. Worse, you’re suggesting 30 year old pro athletes can also be heavy drinkers and not suffering bone loss up to and including fractures (but also the cocaine thing which makes it sound like you’re not really being serious at all).

All that said, if we’d made a bet 5 years ago over which pro fighter was going to suffer a career ending inury due to his lifestyle and health habits, I’d have put all my money on Connor and so would you. Same guy threw a steel barrier at a bus full of his peers in a drunken rage, he’s lucky he got past that but his lucky charms ran out at UFC 264.

And you’re delusional to the point that you think bone disease and too-wide horse stances are a more likely reason for a dude’s leg to snap than kicking an elbow tightly tucked to the body. Jesus Christ, how can you be this retarded? I think you’re maybe not. I mean….you’re retarded but mostly I think you just want to argue, even if your point is completely unfounded and totally ridiculous.

Do you suppose Weidman and Silva partake in improper horse stance practice? I mean, obviously, right?

What is your justification for assuming Conor has consumed so much fucking alcohol and cocaine that his bones are deteriorating? Why? Because he got drunk and showed his ass a few times? That’s quite a leap, don’t you think?

Are you Conor’s boy? Are you on the list of invitees to his yacht parties?

You know fuckall. But I know motherfuckers get their legs broken from checked kicks.

How does muscle and connective tissue support any weight?

Maybe I’m misunderstanding your understanding of basic physiology of the human body?

The pose he is doing with his legs wide is more related to yoga, I think, than to “kung fu”.

And in fact, he has his quads pulled up and supporting his knee joints, as I was taught in yoga classes when doing wide-legged poses.

Building up muscle around joints to support/protect the joints is a thing, though for sure.

Please elaborate on how his gastrocnemius and soleus muscles, if they had been better developed, would have prevented the fib/tib break he suffered.

My observation is that a lot of calf development appears to be genetic. Some people have thinner calves, longer tib/fib (with more room for any amount of muscle), etc.

For example, a friend of mine (a grown woman) has beautifully developed calves, as well as quads and hamstrings.

She has never done a squat in her life, and for sure never done calf raises of any sort.

My older son, unlike either me or his Mom, has long legs relative to his height, and even longer shin bones. He’s never going to have big round calves like Benny The Jet, LOL. But he’s fast as hell and can squat over 300lbs at a body weight of 155.

1 Like

This is the fault in your 2D logic.

Your “simplest explanation” isn’t the simplest or most probable. It’s your only one, because you’re only using the fight. I’m using the big picture.

You’re suggesting something that you admitted happens to “nobody” it happened to Connor McGregor.

So you’re suggesting Connor McGregor can’t handle a checked kick and suffered a sure to be legendary UFC injury for no other reason than pure chance?

Your argument is invalid, because his name wasn’t Jim Bob Nobody.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Ok. Without muscles and tendons you can support zero weight. Muscles form the defense mechanism of the human body against high velocity impact. The skeleton is not meant to support a lot of weight all on its own. And that ability declines over age, too, but rapidly in people with nutrition issues.

The tissues you just mentioned can support up to two orders of magnitude their own mass. But, muscle also weights a lot more than fat, so Connor’s adding weight topside, and yes has huge quads.

Falling backwards on the lower leg puts all that pressure on the weakest link in the leg. Connor has previous injuries there according to his team, and he drinks a shitton, so there’s likely a bunch of factors that contributed.

It’s just not as random as Devil is theorizing.

The stance itself is a Shaolin Mahanyana Buddhist meditation stance based on Vksasana tree pose. I’ll dig up it’s traditional name but it’s basically just the Shaolin 4 Great Parallels horse sstance. You can see the difference here with the knee over the lower leg, which keeps most upper weight carried by the quads and only pillared by the lower leg,

vs that insane thing Connor did above which is put about 130 lbs on his weak ass Lowe legs and that’s just isometric.

An isotonic step back? Add acceleration to all 145 lbs, and hail Newton.

You know people have died in the ring right?

The whole show is an exercise in risk. There is lots ways to hurt yourself and others.

I don’t think this injury happens as often as you are making it sound.

The kung fu pose you are showing, and the yoga poses I’m speaking of are different things, do you get that?

Yoga has the kung fu like horse stance, whatever you want to call it.

Yoga also has wide stanced poses. There are right and wrong ways to do them. The primary strain is on the knee joint if you do them wrong.

I would know, I did yoga several days a week with a hard-corp yoga/dance instructor when I lived in NOLA , for seven years.

The human skeleton supports the weight of the body. It’s articulated at the various joints. It’s an endoskeleton, as opposed to an exoskeleton (crustaceans/insect, for example).

The muscles contract and relax to move the skeleton and and hold it in whatever position (let’s say upright, normally). The connective tissue connect muscle to bone (tendons), bone to bone (ligaments), and muscle to muscle (fascia).

Muscles can provide stability to joints (like, when I tore my ACL, I did a lot of squats, and hamstring curls, and calf work to protect my knee joint. It works to some degree. ). Once I quit lifting, I rode my bike a LOT for the same reason.

McGregor’s calf development, lack thereof, or his “oversized” upper body, I do not think had anything to do with the leg break he suffered.

I can’t rule out other factors as you mentioned related to his drink/drug/training habit. But you can’t rule them in either.

Connor has been training for years doing weight bearing exercises. This tends to make the bones denser and thus stronger. Including his fib/tib, which bear that weight with the rest of his skeleton.

I disagree, it’s the simples solution, really, based on observations of the fight.

It’s not the most probable because it’s the simplest, it’s just a very plausible explanation (we may never know exactly) given the evidence in hand.

Big picture is OK, of course, but your big picture is MORE complicated.

You are doing what MDs call “Zebra Hunting”.

Or brainstorming, which is fine.

1 Like

Where is this in a yogic tradition?

I just did this stance a minute ago, there is definitely too much load bearing in the lower calf ankle.

Too much? Why do you say that? It’s not impact.

Connor squatting 400 lbs is a lot of load, too, LOL. And I bet he does…

Well, not right now, LOL.

Yoga poses, not unlike your kung fu poses, have a right and wrong way to do them.

I’m looking for the yoga poses of which I’m thinking, hang on.

edit
I’m finding wide-legged forward fold, and some variations, I’m familiar with, been there done that a lot.

This I’ve done. The danger is to the knee joint, not the shin. Still looking…

Wolff’s law breaks down in a couple different scenarios, but especially stress fractures due to nutrition as well as poor training. Based on Kavanaugh’s admission about training injury, Connor might have fallen on an already in-process break that started during training and then snapped after the kick and fall. But the break clearly happens later, so it’s hard to tell the chain of events from the video.

If you take a look at a microfracture that hardens bone vs stress fracture, they look very different. The former has a very structured waveform (like a boat wake). Stress fractures are more like fault lines.

I’m not sure what mechanism you are invoking that would develop stress fractures in his shin bones from doing some wide legged stances/poses. They are static poses with no impact.

What the micro fractures look like seems kind of irrelevant to me.

For example, stress fractures develop in the foot bones of runners why? It’s not static yoga/fighting “stances”…

Well, let’s use our handy-dandy Internet thingy…

What typically causes stress fractures in the shin?

There are many factors that can contribute to stress fractures of the shin. Some can be managed to a certain degree and others are not within your control. Causes of stress fractures of the shin include:

• repetitive movements in high-intensity activities, such as:
    • long-distance running, track and field
    • basketball, soccer
    • gymnastics
    • dance
  • improper athletic technique
  • increasing training or weight-bearing exercises too quickly
  • not getting enough rest between workouts
  • working out on a different type of surface than usual
  • running on a sloped surface
  • inadequate footwear

Other things that can increase your risk of stress fractures are:

They left out getting a leg kick you fire off checked correctly…

1 Like

Stress fractures don’t have to come from impact. Any stress will do.

Impacts def make a stress fracture worse over time (add in bone nutrition and training through pain) and then snap.

You brought up running, Connor was doing a LOT of that up to 246.

So maybe too much running, plus bad habits, a training stress fracture and then a kick check, hops back, snap.

That all seems to work as a theory. A lot better than pure chance.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=adHbrkb4fPQ