UFC 264 discussion

My buddy came off his bike and now has a metal rod up his tib

If McGregor got metal legs, he’d be like Wolvereen crossed with a leprechaun

1 Like

Anybody here ever broken a limb before? It’s a humbling river to cross.

McGregor…

“A clean break of the tibia and it was not to be. Dustin, you can celebrate that illegitimate win all you want but you’ve done nothing in there. That second round would have shown all.”

All that mass up top loading those little tibia. Which trainer approved of this that I’d like to know…his face says it all. Unhealthy.

A monk doing it right. Elbows out, 4 parallels Connor. SEI PING DAI MA BO.

Rabbit, you don’t seriously think his leg broke because he likes to pose in funny positions, do you? It broke because he uses it like a baseball bat.

2 Likes

Did Bo Jackson’s knee replacement give him invincible knees? No. It ended his career.

Edit: In before stupid. Not saying that’s definitely going to happen, only that it could happen.

1 Like

Both.

I think he’s top heavy and he put way too much unnecessary stress on his lower legs over time, and sure kicking contributed but he didn’t break it kicking, he broke it hopping back and forth in his cute little ITF TKD stances. He just doesn’t have the lower half for that.

Connor’s #1 issue has always been imbalance. He loves showing off that upper body, and yeah I think he really skips out on Leg Day and it showed. Huge quads, baby chicken calves.

I mean…let’s review the whole history of boxing and UFC. How often do your lower legs just crumple and snap under a fighters own body weight. I can only think of two ways, bone health (disease, mineral deficiency) or just too much load on the bone.

The clean break as opposed to compound break also suggests an acute weakness in the bone vs. incidental trauma. I guess we’ll learn more but yeah kicking damages the legs but so does just having weak ass baby calf muscles, because without them all that load is going on bone rather than being borne by musculature and connective tissue.

Most people would suffer at worst a bad sprain, torn ligament etc from what McG did (step backwards).

My leg was run over by a tractor trailer when I was 12.

I can’t swim in a straight line anymore because one of my ankles won’t bend enough. I can swim, I just have to do it in a weird slow way because kicking with one leg does almost nothing.

Edit: I’m not crippled. I walk just fine. I jog a little weird because of the injury and I got a lot of shin splints but I’m still capable of moving. A few degees of rotation in the wrong place or too much loss of flexion or abduction in one way or another and that’s it. Career over.

He didn’t break his shit bouncing around in a stance. He kicks hard as a motherfucker and Dustin checked one and cracked his shit. Nobody’s leg just breaks from a bounce. Shit, we’d have skinny motherfuckers with weak bones falling all over the place every day if that were the case. Not even geriatric motherfuckers have random leg breaks like that. He broke his shit kicking. There’s really no question.

1 Like

So you’re saying he kicked and fractured the leg, then stepped back and that caused the buckle.

I’m saying that was just the latest dumb thing he did to create the opportunity.

It’s an interesting engineering problem, not unlike the condo in Florida.

Another possibility while we’re at it: Connor’s issues with alcohol and possibly drugs.

Alcohol abuse leads to long term calcium and Vitamin D bone absoption issues. So Connor’s break could also be directly related to that. Too much Irish whiskey does not bode well for MMA fighters.

Remember UFC 223? Khabib famously predicted McG’s lifestyle would catch up to him. Khabib is a fucking genius.

“Of course, I am gonna try to smash him, you know, if I have the chance. I am confident. You know, when I watch his eyes, I don’t feel nothing. He’s like drunk guy. I feel like his face is like… he’s nervous, he’s drunk, and a little bit white, you know. It’s like, he look like a drunk guy. It’s like crazy. It’s very interesting how he want to fight, when you use lot of drugs, when you use whiskey, how you wanna fight 25 minutes?”

If you have some medical info that suggests the leg check led to the fracture let’s see it. I’m all ears on this one.

As far as I’ve seen he was fine after that but then stepped back and the leg just went. Adrenaline can do that but…I want to know more.

We’re both speculating, ignoramus. That’s the fun of the discussion. Try to be less of an idiot. Don’t act like you’re providing any hard proof of anything.

And yes, my speculation is that he cracked both bones on a checked kick. It didn’t completely snap the leg. Instead, the leg gave way when he stepped on it hard, maybe with an awkward movement.

That’s the only plausible explanation. This is 100% an impact injury. Nobody’s fucking leg snaps like that just from stepping on it. Nobody’s. A rolled ankle or something, sure. But not a completely broken leg. That’s asinine. There’s not enough cocaine and whiskey in the world to make that happen.

It’s also possible that he broke the tibia on the check and then the fibula snapped when he stepped back hard on it.

1 Like

I can start posting bone x-rays of chronic alcoholics but I don’t think I have to. People with AUD break legs and arms all the time because they develop osteoporosis. People have worried about Connor’s health for years, and he’s the epitomy of burning the candle at both ends in the UFC pantheon.

Suffice to say, “only plausible” is false on it’s face, but I’ll grant you “nobody” because it’s definitely an ultra rare occurrence…unless you are Vitamin D and Calcium deficient AND limited muscle on the lower legs AND you put a lot of unneeded strain on those tibia AND you kick things a lot for money.

Or maybe he kicked Poirier in the elbow really fucking hard.

The simplest explanation is usually the best one. But sure, let’s assume Conor has fucking Osteoperosis.

2 Likes

Kavanaugh is also guessing as well.

Forensic orthopedics is not really his wheelhouse. But any of these are plausible.

That’s Poirer’s position. It’s plausible.

Just like Kavanaugh said it could also have been due to the camp injury. That’s two.

Lifestyle of whiskey abuse? That’s three factors. And yeah we can keep going. Crazy body contortions during training? 4, 5, 6.

Occam’s razor was invented by a monk to prove God. It’s not science, and the simplest explanation is often never the best one, but it’s a fine place to start.

Are you denying that alcohol abuse leads to acute bone diseases that lead to fractures? I hope not, that conflicts with modern medicine. That could have and probably did contribute across the board, based on the subject.

What I’m suggesting is that you came up with the most outlandish possible explanation for something that’s really fucking obvious and has been seen many, many times in combat sports. You’re looking to solve a mystery that doesn’t exist.

Conor is a 32 year old professional athlete. I’m going to go out an a limb and say he can snort a Scarface sized pile of cocaine and drink a dump truck load of whiskey before he ever has to start worrying about his bones degenerating to the point that they just collapse when he takes a step.

2 Likes

And yet that’s exactly what he did.

Do you think 30 year old athletes, even elite ones, can’t get early onset osteoporosis from poor choices?

Outlandish is suggesting that doesn’t happen, or your comments about cocaine. Argument into absurdity.

Okay, Rabbit. We’ll just assume Conor McGregor is Mr. Glass. That makes perfect sense. I wonder how Charlie Sheen isn’t confined to a wheelchair at this point.

2 Likes