Trustworthy* DIY @Home Advice

Maybe two extra posts in the middle length wise then

You could get like 10" or 12" telephone poles as the 4 corners. Pricey, hard to work with, and it definitely changes the aesthetic.

You need to set them at least 6 feet deep, depending on the length.

I think that esthetic is kind of cool but then I would be working with rounds things… Where square things are what I’m familiar with.

The magic incantation of all carpenters, everywhere, is “wood bends.”

1 Like

And he even knows about toilets, too.

Go cut down some trees and use those for posts.

As it turns out, my grandparents built themselves a gazebo that became a local hit. Made the news. I painted it one summer.

I might have a photo or an article here somewhere. The design was pretty typical but easily DIY. Gorgeous place for tea. You can grow mint around the perimeter, pluck it off for tea, or to chew.

If I can find it I’ll draw you blueprints.

Dude. You’re inhaling that smoke from the west coast fires.

It was Yankee Magazine.

http://www.readabstracts.com/General-interest/Penny-Wormans-250-gazebo-Penny-pinchers-guide-to-the-90s.html

1 Like

Your grandmother stole lumber from construction sites?

You outlaw by lineage devil you!

From memory, it was a hexagonal traditional New England style, with Chinese architectural features.

It might have had 8 sides though. Such is memory.

I’ll find pics.

I have would to drive a fairly long way to have access to a trees I could legally cut down.

You call yourself a Canadian?

Do you even own a chainsaw ?

No, you wood thief.

Wood screws/deck screws hold better than nails. Rafters are the framing members that support the actual shingles and roof decking under them. Rafters are usually toenailed. If you’re going to toenail with screws, you’ll need to pre-drill before screwing to reduce the splitting factor.

I would also consider hurricane clips. They are a metal bracket that attaches the rafter and the beam the rafters sit on. You can finds them in the Simpson Strongtie section at Home Depot or Lowes. How you secure the posts to the ground and the rafters to the beam are the most vulnerable areas as far as high winds are concerned.

2 Likes

This is a diagonal brace on the post. You’ll have to use these if you’re not going to have joists. Rafters only will allow the frame too much lateral movement. There would be 2 braces at each corner post. One for the X axis beam and the other to the Y axis beam.

Edit: The horizontal boards above the post in the photo are joists.

3 Likes

I was going to attach the rafters to the joists and then screw the joists down onto the beam. space 2 feet apart runing length wise.

Thanks for telling me about the pre drilling and the brackets.

I’ll have you know I always get a USFS or IDL wood-cutting permit before I cut down (dead standing) trees for firewood.

Picking up pieces off the ground for backyard fire pit wood requires no permit, though.

1 Like

Nice looking Douglas Fir you got there, big fella.

Attach both to each other and both to the beam. You can probably forgo screwing the rafter to the beam if you use the hurricane clips to attach them to the beam instead. Attach the clip to the rafter, not the joist. This is how they are intended to be used.

3 Likes