The Right Wing Quote Guessing Game! Round 1

I can see the wisdom there. And I generally do prefer Plato to Nietzsche

I must admit, I love the allegory of the Cave, but I generally prefer Xenophon to Plato, otherwise.

For a variety of reasons.

That’s my BIAS…!

1 Like

I am not familiar. So I’ll have to dig more into his works.

It’s definitively good stuff, and an alternative to Plato, regarding Socrates.

(again, that is my own bias)

We’ve been living in the modern age for over a hundred years, so

So was every other modern age, for as long as there have been humans.

In the context you wrote it. I interpreted the meaning as concurrent with the present.

This being Easter, and Passover, we had a discussion about bronze age, and iron age, and steel, in the Gonzo household.

Also a re-discussion on the value of pebbles, for making pyramids, without aliens being necessary.

Or even lots of laborers, although man power, and pebbles, water, and other basic mechanical physics devices, all help, and make such chores eminently doable.

Pebbles used so as to lower friction from the large stones?

One pebble allows one man, with some sticks to spin a huge stone.

Two pebbles, will allow one man, with some sticks to move huge physical objects, easily, with care, long distances.

Things weighing many tons.

Water, sticks, let alone basic mechanical physics devices, such as pulley’s make stone henge, or pyramids, accomplishable by even one man, given enough time, or with many humans, in a short period of time.

1 Like

Cool.

There is a scientific name for that that isn’t leverage right?

Something else but I can’t remember the correct term.

Archimedes said, give me a long enough stick, and a place to stand, and I shall move the world.

He also reportedly said, to the soldier that killed him, “do not disturb my circles”.

It is leverage, and also gravity.

Among other things.

Archimedes came long, long after the pyramids.

But two pebbles and a couple sticks is all it takes for one human to move Egyptian pyramid sized stones, or Stone Henge sized stones, weighing tons, across far distances.

Sticks and simple weights can also be used to make teeter totters, and along with water, and sand, one man could make Stone Henge, especially if simple physical mechanical devices like pulley’s were available, given enough time.

And a wife that didn’t kill her husband, for playing with big rocks, making Stone Henge.

1 Like

To be clear, one pebble allows one to spin a large stone in place.

Two pebbles, allows one to move loads of ridiculous mass, with every half rotation.

Alright so it is leverage.

The stones are the fulcrums.

I was thinking along the lines of a dry lubricant or something. But I’m probably just confusing terms in my head.

Lubricants are not necessary because the friction co-efficient is avoided almost entirely because of the pebbles.

This is the lesson of the story of Antaeus and Hercules.

So long as the pebbles are sufficient to bear the load of the mass without being crushed, the load, even if having a mass in tons, can be easily moved with just a stick, by one man.

Which is why in grappling, as in life, we sometimes have to try to “be the pebble(s)”.

2 Likes

I haven’t had an instructor frame/visualize the concept that way for me before. But I like it.

I shall defer to @BKR on this, as he is older than I, shorter than I, and has more time than I.

But when we put our center of gravity underneath the center of gravity of even an opponent with much more mass, Judo can and does often happen.

Especially when combined with pistons, winches, et al, and gravity.

Let alone being pebbles when our opponents, of even greater mass, put their support, being bipeds, prone to hypotenuse, out of support positions regarding their own center of gravities.

Especially when the human means of locomotion is the illusion of a straight line, and is really a sinusoid wave form pattern, which does make one or two parts of their feet, particularly attractive, regarding helping them get one part of their weight over, after which outside of a very athletic correction, often results in a terminal loss of balance for that biped.

Much like moving a large refrigerator or safe.

And the same applies to sweeps, or reversals, from the bottom newaza in many cases.

Thank goodness humans do not have tails, like Kangaroos, or the math, and physics would be more complex by one dimension, and that is not trivial, from a complexity stand point.

Oh, gay wizard, LOL.

Yes the math got much harder when matrices got involved.

When you mentioned the pebbles and grappling the first thing that popped into my head was a hip sweep from side control.

You have an amazing capacity to engage in false dichotomies, as if they are truth.

FYI.