The REAL "Gun" Control Thread

You will have to tell me.

He hasn’t done anything that qualifies as a

Unless you have a good example of an authoritarian shit show for comparison. Because from my understanding and experience, such places would not allow people to plaster fuck “the person in charge” signs where ever they can best be seen.

All actions taken by his government went through the courts. And we’re lawful from my understanding.

Also. There is currently an independent review of the actions taken by the federal government towards those protesting.

They were not peaceful protests, I might add. They blocked international border crossings. Impeded first responders and other commuters unlawfully. Harassed business’. The owners, workers and patrons. Basically threw a tantrum and when elected officials tried to open a dialogue, made ridiculous childish demands with no coherent or agreed platform to work with.

Many of the “organizers” or “leaders” of the protest movement also grifted hundreds of thousands of dollars in “donations”.

whose money’s never went towards the people or things they were claiming they were Shilling for.

Authoritarian is not the same thing as extralegal.

That sounds like literally every protest. The difference in reaction though is because every protest with a lib bent is just power petitioning power.

When I bunch on hippies get arrested chaining themselves to something I don’t shed a tear either.

So there is an interesting case going on in Washington state now, regarding a recent “high capacity” magazine ban recently implemented at the state level.

It touches heavily on the Bruen SCOTUS decision.

It’s a civil lawsuit, with two parts.
The first part had to do with violation of 2nd amendment rights of some individuals, under color of state law. That one did not get through the initial stages, as the Federal Judge with jurisdiction ruled against it.

The second part, though, survived the summary judgement stage, and is thus proceeding on the merits.

This is a more detailed youtube video.

Is the Canadian government freezing the bank accounts of climate protestors?

If they commit fraud.

According to your Assistant Deputy Minister of finance the freezing of bank accounts had nothing to do with them being suspected of fraud. What happened and the fallout, the banks being terrified when there started to be a run on withdrawals and pressuring the Canadian government to back off, are public knowledge now. You can’t memory hole it.

You may agree with it but it is textbook authoritarian.

That link is paywalled maybe you could give an exact quote.

Because accounts were frozen that were tied to donations.

The accounts total was somewhere around nine million.

That’s pocket change for the Canadian banking sector.

When Prime Minister Justin Trudeau decided a week ago to invoke his country’s Emergencies Act for the first time in Canadian history to quell the unrest, it gave the police sweeping new powers to go after the finances of the protesters.

Ms. Jacques said that those measures are now being lifted because they were intended to pressure protesters to leave the city’s streets.

I’m sure that some of the accounts that were frozen may have been. And I’m sure this is what you and your friends and family all say to get over the cognitive dissonance of thinking that Liberals could never take authoritarian actions.

People panicking and deciding to pull their money out of their bank because they see the bank accounts of protestors being frozen is more than just “pocket change”.

Dude… but what about to the folks who had their assets frozen ? Without any due process.

Wait, it’s Canada!

Here in the US this is just done by the banks themselves, payment processors, or platforms like PayPal in cooperation with the government. The common refrain is “if you don’t like X platform go make your own!”. Well let’s ask Dick Masterson about how he is personally banned from ever having or using a credit card because he tried to stand up an explicitly pro free speech version of Patreon.

Yeah, we are getting a bit far afield from gun control at this point.

You are cognitive dissonance personified idiot.

That quote about pressuring protestors is not from Ms. Jaques but from the article writer. IF Ms Jaques said those words them they should be easy to quote.

Are you too fucking dumb to understand what an exact quote means?

Everyone who was there asking for money for protesting was running a scam. No banks were scarred people were going to close accounts. They were just taking orders from the government on what accounts to freeze. Of course the accounts weren’t going to be frozen forever.

BKRs point is much better one. But the account freezing was allowed under the emergencies measures act.

There is now a public inquiry going on up here reviewing the actions taken by the government

You can click link if you want to know anything about Canada.

Read the sentence again.

Authoritarian and Extralegal, again, are not the same thing. Authoritarian actions are very often legal.

File photo: Lant3rn typing this post

I wanted a quote from Ms. Jaques not a quote from the article attempting to paraphrase her.

There were only 200 accounts that were frozen. And not all were individual. Their were more people at the protest than that. They were frozen because what the protesters were engaged in at that point was criminal activity. And the outside “funding” tied to those accounts would be going to finance crime. They were cutting the protesters ability to pay to be there.

They should have gotten a warrant. But that’s not what happened. The government invoked the emergency measures act. You can look up what that involves if you care.

But it was not authoritarian. I live in a great country where we all enjoy many freedoms that people who actually live under authoritarian rule do not. Depending on your criminal record you can come see for yourself.

Protests often are, theoretically.

Which is inherently authoritarian.

It literally was. Again, authoritarian measures can be perfectly legal.

You might be surprised if you traveled to some places you consider to be authoritarian. If you could understand the concept of power petitioning power you wouldn’t feel that the difference was so significant.

I don’t have a record because the only crimes I ever committed were in the furtherance of the national security interests of the United States.

I have travelled to authoritarian shit holes. The contrast is striking.

And this has what do do with gun control?

Point taken.