TaeKwonDo side kick made great again (MTKDGA)

Keep your feet closer together, you can’t easily return to a neutral stance, if someone parried or blocked that punch you’d be stuck. From that position your movement is restricted. You’re also leaving your back leg behind, looking at how you threw that punch you’d want to drag that back leg in with the cross. Your feet move together, you don’t want to step forward into a wide stance. Think small steps, not large steps. Boxing is about small motions, quick steps, quick movements. Also from a boxing perspective you are sinking quite low which is going to hurt your range as well.

Watch dropping that left hand when punching, based on that short clip i’d wait for the punch and throw a hook to the side the hand is dropping, i’ll be expecting a gap there when you throw a punch. Big part of boxing is trying to identify those subconscious habits that you can exploit.

Don’t over-rotate your hips to the other side.

If you look at the same clip you posted.

You can see he still balanced, and has options.

You want your weight to be central so you can move after you punch. You always want to think of movement after throwing a punch or punches.

Your jab clip looks better, your stance is higher, your weight is more central, and it looks like you are stepping into the punch from a weight distribution perspective (you almost want that falling motion with the step to be timed with the punch). Your hands are up. I’d say a far better stance / clip.

If you want advice on your stance etc. it’s better to post a clip where you are moving around and throwing a few punches. You can’t really tell much from such a short clip.

I threw a Karate right hand, in case you missed it.

I did miss that it was a karate punch, apologies, think the boxing clip threw me. (Edit: doesn’t look like that was mentioned)

Wouldn’t change my points though.

I agree that Karate mechanics has some weaknesses with stance that can be exploited if you do prolonged fighting.

Boxing mechanics has weaknesses too though.

They were too sloppy so I deleted them.

This one I like…

I go maybe 70% in terms of power. The key is the angle of your ankle. If it’s horizontal, then your leg has traveled in an arc, and this creates optimal hip support into the kick

I don’t pull back my leg kicking leg her. If it was a kickboxing rules… I don’t pull it. If it’s MMA I pull back. If it’s the streets, I don’t pull.

Here you see how dangerous it is. His mechanics are very good btw.

He doesn’t even thrust the kick forward, because his hip is optimally supporting the leg. So he doesn’t need the momentum

Rogan argues that swinging the arms increases power

The thing about the roundhouse kick is that there are so many ways to do it, even in the same martial art.And you have to pick one…

For instance you can do it upright posture, half lean, full lean all depending on who you are and what your objectives are.

I think you should drill it as a student 95% upright. This will make you flexible and then you can experiment after that.

I generally lean between 5-15%.

All else equal, the more you lean to the side, the more you penetrate. But it might not be good defensively if it’s blocked.

Your stability is worsened by additional leaning

You can stuff this kick and I’m still solid as a rock.

“Best” allround posture.

As nasty as his kick was…Gonzaga will fall over if you push him

Okey. This is how much my technique degrades from kicking 8 minutes straight and little time to think.

I’d say my kicks “ages” very well. I’ve done it enough times now

And you don’t notice there is a big pause every time you kick?

1 Like

So when are you going to put up some sparring footage?

He could get himself hurt.
Don’t.

You never done Ma have you?

I don’t belong to any club since 2018.

Mind the slight pause between upper body movement and strike doesn’t become an intention telegraphing habit

Using arms to increase power or help balance both work, but each time one does it one creates an opening for one’s opponent

I would advise nailing good technique first, power second

I do see some boxing influence…

Most Taekwondo guys can’t use their shoulders and hips like this.

Btw… Deontay wilder does this wide stance when he throws his bombs.

He is considered “incorrect”. But the hardest puncher ever.

The problem TaeKwonDo has with guard is not when they kick, but when they don’t …whenever they move around it’s as if they think they have Mayweather reflexes to punches

Even my assistant instructor … It’s a bit like in BJJ where you agree to go to the floor. In Taekwondo you assume kicks, so they don’t guard for chain punches…

But I have punished them for it.

They also tend to admire their kicks after they’ve landed…and I punch them right afterwards