Portland State University Professor Resigns

If there’s anything less tolerable than a Portland Oregon Liberal Arts Student I hope to never meet it.

Gawdanned those kids are obnoxious and I don’t blame this guy for quiting at PSU. That area (downtown and NW Portland) is basically a Mecca for unhinged wing-nuttery.

From all sides too BTW. It’s not just a left or a right thing. It’s like an everything bagel plus some wacky new shit you might have not even known about.

Saw a mob protesting circumsciscion one time. On my way to work at 7am. Wasn’t even half way to downtown yet and I’m already seeing dour evangelicals waving a sign that reads “LET HIM KEEP HIS WHOLE PENIS”.

I assure you out of context it was surreal AF.

Anyways. This dude comes across as a cynical concervitive. No judgment. It’s a free country.

But culturally it’s an extremely poor fit for that particular student body. This doesn’t excuse the attacks he endured and I absolutely agree with his criticisms of contemporary corporate culture. Left Wing Academics are some of the most toxic and dysfunctional people I’ve ever met.

But neither party were happy with him at PSU and frankly the dude would be better off any number of conservative colleges where his dry wit and sarcasm wouldn’t be considered heresy.

Hope he lands in a better spot.

Peoples Republic of Portland(ia)

Well it only took several months to come back and reply, but alas here we are. You actually saw a pushing out of Liberal professors by Conservative professors? That is truly news worthy! You should do an expose on that , because you’d probably get main stream distrobution with a story so rare. I have to assume it was at a private institution? Maybe even a private Christian based school somewhere? That’s about the only thing that would jump out at me as being possible. The media would jump on that one with haste I’d think. I’m not doubting your post, but please share more about that situation.

I haven’t seen Portlandia in a long time, but what I thought was cool about the show was that it trolled the typical attitude of a ‘Portlandian’. It was taking shots at the obvious hypocrisy and trendiness involved around much of that city.

Maybe the writers of the show (possibly being accustomed to Hollywood by now) didn’t realize just how closely they were depicting the hobby/past time of outrage and pearl clutching that exists in Portland. Or , I’d like to think the crew of Portlandia having been involved in that “scene” for so long have finally matured and realized that a lot of what they used to rage about is in fact very silly.

For a second I got it in my head to tour around in an RV seeing the great American landscape in the time I’ve been absent. Portland put an end to that.

I had enough moments that tore my guts out and shit all over the remaining dregs of hope in me for America that I will not repeat the details of them. May it suffice to say, I am simultaneously disheartened and invigorated. We don’t need a new plan, we need a return to our constitutional values, the rule of law and an all out war against misinformation.

There may be acceptable exceptions to the Bill of Rights but I’ve never seen one. All too often Americans across the political spectrum selectively embrace the rights they like in the moment and bemoan the rights of their fellow countrymen when it seems inconvenient.

If either party continues down the path of its worst instincts and present vomiting out of the mouths of its worst and most popular demagogues we are all fucked.

1 Like