On Death Penalty and the Monopoly of Violence

Not all homicides are violent.

Assisted suicide is homicide, even if it’s legal. Even suicide is technically homicide, although it’s usually done violently.

That said, I can’t think of many other examples.

There are reasons we don’t just execute all the terrorists at Guantanamo, and just rely on drones and ST6 precision strikes against key figures.

Do you know what the biggest one is? Martyrdom can be a worse bitch than karma, especially at scale.

Thanks for getting my Good, Bad, and Ugly reference though. People often miss the point of my best jokes.

Murder by neglect can be non violent

So sex is inherently violent?

You’re doing in wrong dude

If you don’t understand what I’m posting I can break it down and use shorter words

So if the victim cooperates with the execution, lies on the bed and offers their vein, is it still violent ?

If a doctor declines to treat a dying patient, this could be chargeable as homicide (that’s the same thing as murder @Osiris ) yet the doctor has not acted violently in the perpertration of the murder

I could go on thinking up scenarios that constitute non violent murder all day

This “your stoopid and I am orsom” argument does not impress any one Osiris

I really could be enlightened by your definition of violence. Please.

Oh! And I think I understand “murder by neglect” but I will google it.

Slowly poisoning or taking away someones meds, or blackmailing to suicide. Even an ill willed psychiatric misdiagnosis like in old USSR punitive way. All of them are violent ways.

I wouldn’t say that “slow and silent” stands for “non violent”.

That’s a good one. Could be Euthanasia, unless if the victim has any chance of living for any reason.

Have you ever seen someone die from lethal injection? Yes it is violent.

1 Like

My definition of violence is involving force

I think it is more correct to say the state fosters a monopoly on control

Execution , be it violent or passive, is one of the most extreme ways a state employs this monopoly of control

It can be but is not inherently so

Lethal injection employed in consensual euthanasia is designed to be as passive as possible

It involves three men dragging a guy into an execution room. Strapping him against his will to a table. Shoving IVs into his veins(often while struggling) and even when not struggling often requiring repeated attempts. Then having someone with no actual medical training administer a sedative, which is often insufficient, followed by a poison mixture that burns his veins and heart so that they cease to function, while he lays thrashing and screaming in agony. Now if that isn’t violence I’m not sure what is.

1 Like

Consensual euthanasia is done by a trained and licensed physician and uses a completely different set of drugs than the execution method. Comparing consensual euthanasia with lethal injection is intellectually dishonest.

1 Like

But poisoning some one to death is not inherently violent

Sure, maybe euthanasia drugs are different chemical to execution drugs, I’ll take your word for it , and maybe the doctors in euthanasia clinics are better looking

But so what?

Both involve homicide using poisoning

One is violent one is not

Intellectual dishonesty lol

I’m staying the fuck away from Doofa. Geez. Mostly peaceful murder out here. Yikes.

You can’t quit me

Assisted suicide and euthanasia, typically speaking, in the US the doctor does not control the trigger. The patient does. Most recent is the suicide pill. Supposedly a peaceful falling asleep. The doctor prescribes it, and when the terminal patient has decided they have had enough, they take it.

By US law, anyone with a license to practice medicine that takes part in an execution will have their license immediately and irrevocably revoked. What that means is that there is no doctor or actual medical professional taking part in said execution. Not in determining drugs, or their proper administration.

You don’t have to take my word for it. You can watch it online. It is a brutal and inhuman process.

1 Like

You seem a bit hung up on the technical details of execution and don’t seem to get my point

I will explain it simply for you

If someone forces you to take a poison, that is violent

If someone gives you poison that you choose to take, that is not violent

Both are considered murder in most places

The difference is the use of force

In the lethal injection example I would argue that the administration of the sedative was, most likely, violent

The administration of the fatal chemicals is not violent because force is not required, as the victim is unable to resist

You choosing to take, freely and without outside coercion makes it not murder.

Homicide is one human killing another, it is in most cases illegal.
Suicide is one human killing themselves and in many places, especially if done under a doctor’s supervision is not illegal.

1 Like