Ninja Wilderness Survival

Like, some kind of club? Boston Basher?

I collect those up here earlier in the spring. They are kind of bland, but soak up the flavor of whatever you cook them in.

I prefer Morels, they have good flavor of their own.

There is a False Morel, but Iā€™ve never seen one up here.

From what I know about them, they only taste good before they start to collect spore bits. Yellow or darker they lose flavor or get bitter.

As white as possible should indicate it hasnā€™t spored much yet.

I hate mushrooms, but Iā€™d rub one on a gash in the bush.

Correct, once they start to spore (the whole Puffball thing), no good to eat.

I know where they show up and roughly when. Plus, I can see them in the field, white against the green of Alfalfa.

Make sure you get consent first.

2 Likes

Confirmation bias is absolutely the issue with this. You can look at anything to try to make it say something it doesnt to fit what the person wants it to say. If someone wanted to say ninjas did wear all black all the time (unlikely for a stealth mission) they would point to stage hands being used as ninjas in plays and not actual ninjas, because theyd be hard pressed to find it.

1 Like

Part of the issue is also the false dichotomy.

This is clear if you ask people to name classes of Japanese warrior. If they give you just 2, itā€™s going to be samurai and ninja. $10 on most Boojers not knowing this basic historical information, because ninja did everything according to them.

Most people wonā€™t know the Sohei, the Ikko Ikki, the Ashigaru, or the Tsukaiban, not to mention the different levels of samurai proper (newbie archers, veteran katana/wakizashi). The Ikko Ikko were like Japanese Shaolin, Buddhist warrior monks used basically for the same purpose as samurai on the field. As cool if not cooler than ninja any day (and I suspect the source of some of Hatsumiā€™s retconningā€¦)

According to most accounts, ninja camo used the same ideas as modern camo (black at night, wood/earth colors for daytime, and civilian/aristocrat clothing for long term spycraft).

Notably the 80s ninja movies got smarter about this over time, from Enter the Ninja (black, red, white are all dumb daytime colors) to Ninja III, where light grey is worn the whole movie by the evil ninja (Cali desert), and the good ninja is standard Sho Kosugi with an eye patch, which was old school ninja anime.

For pop culture you just make the shadows darker and more convenient.

1 Like