My big fat fucking BJJ thread

I fucking hate martial artists. Mostly because of watching them over the years. Biggest nest of arrogant punk motherfuckers I’ve ever witnessed. These people train to dominate others and I think it gets in their head. And experts on everything in and out of the cage. No wonder they’re also promoting everything from lizard people conspiracies to junk science.

I just joined BJJ to try to improve my opinions of martial arts. Figured I’d start with proven shit to build a base. So far it’s fine. Good exercise. Fun.

My problem is it’s not improving my opinion. At all. Nothing to do with my place, theyre all great people. I think it’s because of how ma is seen in public. I don’t want to tell anyone that I train a ma because it would be fucking embrassed.

Here’s your shot, unfuck my skull on this issue.

1 Like

I’ve not found the BJJ community to be significantly different than society at large in most ways once you account for geography. Gyms do vary some and this is largely a function of the instructor. I.e. is it a “traditional” vs competition focused school. One does have to possess sufficient financial resources to train BJJ due to its relative expense though.

Despite spending quite a bit of time in the “community”, I’m no more likely to enjoy the company of any of the members vs any other random person.

1 Like

I don’t tell people I train because it’s mostly boring conversation. And I don’t want to be that guy.

1 Like

The people you describe are a mirror for you that reflect the qualities about yourself that you despise.
This is, to a large degree, why you are bothered by them.

Higher incidence of ringworm, than the general population.
Also, the longer the train, the higher the chance they will have more disabling injuries, than the general population.

2 Likes

You advertise and announce that you train, across social media.

One wonders why @ChaosmarineX bothers to watch or listen to this garbage.
No one forces him to.

1 Like

I guess the biggest question I have is, are you sure you are practicing any martial art for the right reason? I could be off base, but it seems like you are learning various arts for the purpose of impressing people (yeah, I know, you said you are embarrassed to tell them - we call this part “projection.”)

If you want to go deeper, the way we hone our skill is to continually practice/compete against our betters. This is the “sport,” argument, boiled down.

If you want to be realistic, the fact that you practice any martial art puts you above 99% of the general population. This is the “self defense,” argument, boiled down.

2 Likes

Staph too. However, I’m not sure if that would be above average once factoring in surgical complications amongst the general population.

I’ve observed, over my 30+ years in Judo and a scant few in BJJ, that a lot of humans seem to be looking for a leader to follow, and a tribe to join. Sometimes, people choose a combat sport like BJJ or Judo, sometimes stuff like karate/TKD, etc.

That often involves getting into the culture of the country of origin of the combat sport of choice. Like, Brazil and BJJ, Japan and Judo, for example.

It can be really annoying. Getting involved in the cultural stuff can be interesting and educational, as well. It’s all a matter of degree and kind.

1 Like

Depends on who is discussing. Higher level people, coaches/teachers, can have great discussions in person, and online, with each other.

Noobs, often, need to STFU and listen and then train more.

But I can’t disagree that discussing technical matters IS often boring to people who know nothing of the subject, in general.

2 Likes

Nah. Most of them are trash.

Anomalous, but as long as they are clean and don’t pose a risk to your partner or damage the mat shouldn’t be considered rude.

You also have the rest of your exposed skin to be concerned about. Grappling hygiene is a huge pet peeve of mine.

1 Like

Maybe you should just not worry about finding a MA role model at all? I don’t think a student really needs one. Especially a presumed mature adult would need one, especially outside of MA classes.

2 Likes

One criteria for choosing a MA/combat sport school is how clean do they keep the mats, especially for grappling.

And how clean they insist their students are, including uniforms.

Personally, wearing socks to grapple seems really strange to me. Too much Judo, I suppose.

Interestingly, I never caught ringworm from judo practice.

Wise man say “if you looks for weeds in the lawn, that’s where you will find them.”

This is a key criterion in my book. A corollary is how clean everyone keeps their clothing. I’ve seen a few gyms where people will just hang their wet uniforms and rash guards up in the dressing room and leave them there.

That. But there is no reason they should be interested in BJJ. And I think it is important to not be a one trick pony.v

Yeah. One cool thing one of my coaches made point of was that we were not just supposed to take his word on things.

But I am the other way. We have a very grounded club in that sort of respect. Personally I attribute it to the shit talk.

2 Likes

That would be one stinky dressing room unless it’s open to outside air, or VERY well ventilated by a heating/cooling system. Even then… ugh

Going barefoot off of the tatami, and back on is a huge pet peeve for me.

And then there are the guys who go barefoot into the bathroom to defecate…

1 Like