Is "Hollywood" rainbow washing history

I didn’t watch it. So I have no opinion on those specific matters. But for example, how often do you see black confederates portrayed EVER? In any light? Wiped from mainstream (researches can find easily) history.

Cold Mountain portrays a Native American Confederate

Can you give a link to Black Confederates

Wikipedia says only slave labour and medics

I’d need to visit a research library.

When I watch films I like to get lost in them. I want to feel like I am actually there. That is hard to do when I know they are historically inaccurate.

No. As said before in another post historical inaccuracy ruins films. Plus it sends a clear message to an already confused younger generation that being factual is being racist.

1 Like

Stop!

HAMMER TIME!

1 Like

Ironically, Enola Holmes is notable for it’s judo content, so should be applauded for that at least

1 Like

What if just takes place in an alternate reality…? a different timeline.

Again if were talking about actual history, full grown men played women and children on stage.

1 Like

You mean like white Jesus?

3 Likes

I was going to care. But then realised I didn’t care about product placement which is probably more insidious. And therefore couldn’t because then I would be a bit hypocritical.

Shakespeare is not a great example

One reason his work is so often reinterpreted in different contexts is because few of his plays (other than the Histories) are set in a historic context

As for men acting in female roles, well I abhor Woman Face

2 Likes

Thanks for wrecking my argument dude

1 Like

https://youtu.be/_pewGocUQHE

1 Like

What your describing goes along with why I chose Shakespeare. And why the history of his plays make a great example.

Enola Holmes could be set anywhere as well. I’ve never seen it though.

Testament to his legacy

Invent the time machine or read a history book then.

I think skill has a lot to do with it. Shakespeare was historical, and it probably requires a lot of energy to convey why historical characters and events are of interest.

I think a lot of “make it gay” in film and other media is a crutch. A way to pander to a group of people, to hook them into buying what you’re selling.

The best example of this I can think of is Steven Universe and similar shows. I’ll give them credit for showing ostensibly same-sex relationships, but if it felt anymore shoe-horned in I’d probably have a shoehorn in my eye.

Imagine, if you will, if DBZ’s Freiza saga focused more on the Namekians being an all-male race - rather than any actual story.

It’s a theme to lean on these days, rather invest the effort and time needed to make your story interesting.

1 Like

I can see your point on this, turning diversity into a gimmick to get people to watch a shitty show is a bit pathetic.

But there has been shitty tv for a long time now and if that gimmick well runs dry, producers will move on to the next thing.

In fairness to Netflix, they do seem to be applying the same standards of inclusion at all levels of their organisation, right up to the top

Exactly. They’ll ride that horse right into the ocean and come back for a different one.

2 Likes