Data driven approach to COVID19 vaccination for kids, and adults

I got my two teen age children double vaxxed for COVID19 during the time period when our local and State hospital system was nearing the limits of being able to be further reinforced regarding ICU capacity, by making additional and emergency ICU facilities. And the national medical supply chain was fully strained.

Without those signals, I would not have gotten my children vaccinated against COVID19, given the extremely, extremely low fatality and adverse post infection numbers regarding children.

And given those signals do not exist presently, nor are there momentum signals in that direction, I have no intention of getting my children further vaxxed against COVID19, unless new data presents, or those signals occur.

Also, the U.S. has been rather unscientific regarding refusing to recognize post infection antibodies as a form of protection, that if shown to be present, should be regarded as a surrogate for vaccine like protection.

Which is very ironic, because vaccines are a surrogate for post infection resistance, historically.

But, we had an awful lot of politics surrounding this pandemic, and how it was handled.

Rather than science, on when masks are appropriate, and when they are silly, vaccines, and other therapeutics.

And neither the Democrats nor the Republicans conducted themselves very well, nor very scientifically, regarding this issue.

Perhaps you could phrase your statements to say what you actually mean

Definitely sounds like you advocate vaccination only when the disease is overwhelming the health infrastructure

I say vaccinate as many people as as possible to prevent the health infrastructure getting overwhelmed

It’s safe and efficacious

I did.

I identified a specific demographic that has a fatality and long term side effect profile from COVID19 that is fairly close to zero (children).
Therefore, yes, there is a strong argument that demographic need not be vaccinated against COVID19
if a sufficient percentage of the more vulnerable population is showing herd immunity,
can be vaccinated if they have not been or do not have post infection antibodies present,
and the medical infrastructure is not strained,
unless new data to the contrary presents.

That is called a data driven, and evidence based approach.

Absolutely.

There is no impact on omnicron, this might have held weight once upon a time, but there is no justification for it now. Vaxxed, un-vaxxed, you spread it …

I would not vaccinate my kids if I had any. If you are a healthy individual under 65 i don’t think it’s a good idea at the moment.

With 9 cases a year of Polio in the US, using your data driven approach should the Polio vaccination program be discontinued?

Also, PP

images

I wonder if you are able to post as to why that wouldn’t be so, using the data driven approach, or if you really need me to explain it to you?

Yes please .

OK, I will help you understand how to do it at a basic level, without getting into statistical and probabilistic methods, to keep it simple, to start.

Question one you should ask: Is Polio COVID19?

@doofaloofa what do you think the answer is to that first question?

Answer that, and then we will move to the next one.

If your just going to prevaricate, don’t bother

You asked me to explain how to do it to you.

If you want to learn how to do it, you have to try and participate, like any other student, learning how too do something, they don’t know how to do.

If Data were actually here, he’d probably point out that even a mild Covid infection can fuck up your lungs permanently, Captain.

Lots of kids out there with Long Vid lung damage. So, vaccine.

Post emotion chip Data didn’t just see things in black and white, dead or alive. There’s a continuum, like the Q.

The recent Swedish study indicated no statistical difference in lung function between children who had COVID19 infections, and those who did not, a few months after infection.

The recent German study on the same topic found no statistical difference in lung function between children who had COVID19, and those who did not, a few months after infection, unless the children had severe infections.

And statistically, children very, very rarely have severe COVID19 infections.

The claim that the EU’s European Medicines Agency has cautioned against going hog wild on boosters? I’m not sure what studies they were looking at but we’re supposed to trust the experts, right?

A slightly different claim than your original post, that I responded to.
Your new claim is also not exactly specific, but I will assume you are speaking casually, and in generalities.

Which experts, in which context, and about what?
Sometimes experts can be relied upon, sometimes not.
Similarly, sometimes studies can be relied upon, sometimes not.
Context matters.
Over generalizations, just add noise to the line.

I worded it more casually, but they specifically raised doubts about the fourth booster.
https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/eu-drug-regulator-says-more-data-needed-impact-omicron-vaccines-2022-01-11/

This has not been the line, at least in the US, for the last three years. It’s also verboten to talk about how “expert” technocrats once exposed to power seek ways to extend or maintain that power. There is this perception that “experts” in government are immune from all of the politics and power incentives that non experts fall victim to, but having been exposed to academia and government I can tell you this is empirically untrue.

That’s a pretty informative clip with sources.

1 Like

As an academic who is also a government contractor,
I can tell you that academics and people in government positions are often exposed
and fall prey to conflicts of interests,
including soft or hard dollar incentives, career incentives, graft,
and every other things that corrupts humans,
because while they may sometimes act inhumanely,
they are still humans, as corruptible, and often corrupt, as everyone else.

They are also not immune to engaging in politics.

1 Like

Of course.
In particular, the so-called soft sciences, Psychology, Sociology, etc, routinely do.
And some disciplines like gender studies, do more than they do not.
Medicine also sometimes steps into areas, that have nothing to do with medicine.

It would save a lot of time if you could just explain why the prophylactic benefits of vaccination is different in the case of COVID as opposed to Polio