Brandeis University Lists the Phrase "Trigger Warning" As Oppressive Language

The Prevention, Advocacy & Resource Center at Brandeis University has riled up the euphemism ouroboros so much it’s now choking on its tail.

And the ridiculousness doesn’t stop there. “Picnic” is also offensive according to this group of aspiring cultural flooring padders…

Of course, some of the terms on this list are completely reasonable and it’s fair to request people use alternatives. But just like actual law enforcement can run into problems with overreach until concerned citizens push back against it, self-appointed language police suffer from the exact same problem–a power grab is a power grab, after all.

https://www.brandeis.edu/parc/accountability/oppressivelanguagelist.html

You can see the full list here.

I don’t want to go off the reservation, here, but with everything going on, right now, I feel victimized by people that want to control how I communicate. It’s no picnic, sure, but the rule of thumb is that it is more important to take a stab at expressing yourself clearly and plainly, rather than worrying about some trigger-warning-happy-shitstain with dual degrees in gender and race study (and a minor in underwater basket weaving) telling me they are going to kill themselves over my constitutionally protected speech.

As a survivor of non-consensual censorship, I think I just killed it.

3 Likes

I’m just waiting for “language police” to be added to this list, unironically, because of the association with the violence of actual police.

The rule of thumb one bothers me the most because its false phraseology.

2 Likes

This is what happens when you let people whose knowledge comes from indy films write rules.

Kind of?
This false narrative about the origin of this phrase I think predates a lot of that.
I don’t mind considering monitoring my words to be more inclusive and welcoming to people.
It just doesn’t hurt me.
I do mind, being called out for it, and acting like I have the energy to stay on top of all this stuff and watch the shifting sands to see what is the right way to say something right now.
So when we start adding false bullshit things to the list it gets really irritating.
To some extent we also need people to get a thicker skin(that expression is likely triggering).
I want people to be comfortable with who they are, I don’t want people to have to constantly deal with micro-aggressions and the like but ummm I also want people to not make their “triggers” my issue, they have to deal with them.

2 Likes

Fuck off.

Triggering or not?

This part is, apparently.

I’m quoting this because it is well said, and succinctly captures the mindset of a “silent majority,” that are too afraid to speak out against cancel culture. I also happen to feel the same way.

Once again, I think people should be more mindful of others but I am not a fan of cancel culture its to easily manipulated, too mercurial, and is not grounded at all in any sort of nuance.
People are looking for “dog whistles” in everything said or done. Its easy for people to run a foul of those dog whistles when they have nothing to do with those sub cultures.
It impacts normal people, like you can not get a job because some AI thinks that you following a certain person on twitter or retweeting something falls into some category.
This AI very well might flag any sort of discussion on trans inclusion in sports no matter how informed or nuanced it might be, as trans-phobic and boom now you can’t get a job with anyone that uses that service.

These recommendations for more-neutral language are brought forth by students who have been subject to violence or who have worked with others who are healing from violence, as well as students who have sought out advanced training for intervening in potentially violent situations.

This list is meant to be a tool to share information and suggestions about potentially oppressive language. Use of the suggested alternatives is not a university expectation or requirement. The language you choose to use or not use is entirely up to you.

Not a very effective power grab by these language police.

2 Likes

Beat me to it. You’re a gentleperson and a scholar.

See, I avoided that by never learning what a microagression is.

Checkmate, cancel culture.

Yeah. But that MMA pit they have looks pretty slick.

My late teen daughter pulled me up for using an unacceptable word

In the process calling me a punk

When I explained the origins of the word and how it’s use marginalises sex workers, she got quite upset

1 Like

Probably because never in her lifetime has the word “punk” been used to marginalize sex workers.

Those that wear a uniform, and carry a gun, as representatives of their governments armed forces, whether law enforcement or military are sometimes in violent situations, or need to do violence in the performance of their duties.
This is a sad truth, of humanity.
However, let’s not generalize that all such situations mean the person in the uniform, carrying the firearm, getting the government check for doing so, is doing so for evil, or evil purposes.

But it’s still a word with homophobic/slut shamming connotations

Because she was not aware of those connotations, is it OK for her to use the word?

Is a slur still a slur if nobody’s using it as one, and the supposed targets of the slur aren’t speaking out against it? I’m leaning no. Have words with your daughter if she starts calling people whores.

1 Like

I am offended by your apparent nonchalance and reasoned position. Please, stop.