Brandeis University Lists the Phrase "Trigger Warning" As Oppressive Language

Yep.

And coon cheese.

Let’s start a campaign to bring back punk as an anti male sex worker slur

How about let’s not. Male sex workers are contributing more to society than many occupations for which there are no slurs, and people will just look at you funny if you try to insult someone by comparing him to the Ramones.

But this was our chance to really make a mark on the history of slurs

So which occupations shall we make up slurs for instead?

Is that an English colloquial usage of “punk”?

Because I’ve looked at several etymology websites and “punk” in a sexual context (as in male sex worker) is barely registering.

But you go ahead and troll your daughter…

I just remember it being used in that context in a movie from the 80s were one prisoner tries to sodomize another prisoner.

It sounded made up.

Really, slurs suck. Feel absolutely free to insult people like CBP, ICE, Catholic priests, police union officers, etc. with the worst profanities that come to mind, but it’s really functionally impossible to manufacture a new slur, and not something you should want to do anyway.

I don’t think we will ever get rid of slurs

So how do we address the imbalance and create fairness?

Make sure we have equality of slurs

Think of it as a public service, and you never know, we might even make it into Urban Dictionary

Imagine how proud you’ll feel as you tell your grand kids "I invented that slur for inattentive ginger shop assistants "

Slurs are by their very nature unfair-- as I said in the comic, slurs are used by bigots against the targets of bigotry. If you’re angry at a person or group of people due to their actions, that isn’t bigotry.

But hey, insults are fine. For example, “bootlicker” is an insult for someone who glorifies police officers even when they’ve done something utterly heinous. It’s not a slur, though (and nobody’s kicking the shit out of them, even if one could argue they should).

I don’t know who came up with “bootlicker,” but they should indeed be proud.

“In the late 1500s, the word punk referred to a prostitute.”

Your definition of slur is not correct

Bootlicker is definitely a slur

https://www.google.com/search?q=slur&oq=slur&aqs=chrome..69i57.2899j0j7&client=ms-android-samsung&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

It is merely a slur you are OK with. A Bootlicker would call you a bigot, however

But let’s keep our eyes on the prize

UD kudos!

“Getting punked” IS prison terminology for getting raped/sexual favors.

Right, that was a long time ago. Your trolling your daughter with an obscure, wayyyyy out of date definition is hilarious, Dad. Keep up the good work!

1 Like

I gave my definition of “slur,” and I’m sticking to it. It makes more sense. Conflating it with “insult” is stupid because it equates calling someone an asshole to calling them the n-word.

Is someone who glorifies the language police a bootlicker, too?

Bitch PLEASE?! (No offence)

I don’t think anyone is equating those two terms

You are assuming someone who uses profanity towards another person is always being fair ?

Nah. Language police don’t kick the shit out of you with their boots. They probably don’t even wear boots, hippies.

So, is profanity always fair when it’s directed towards an individual?

To be fair, the profanity would have to be accurate, right?