20 Covid Vaccine and Pandemic Update

Having trouble getting it.

1 Like

We will need it eventually. No real rush.

One new case in QLD at the moment.

Just got a scam call from 978-533-3439, claiming to be my prescription insurance company, asking me to call 855-913-3978 about COVID19 vaccine.

This is an offshore (likely India) scam operation trying to convince people they need to share personal info or owe copay money for vaccines.

FYI, all COVID19 vaccinations should be 100% free no matter who you are. To quote Charlton Heston Moses:

“The strong make many. The weak make few. The dead make none .”

1 Like

You can have the vaccine when you pry it from my cold, dead hands?

2 Likes

Tyranny without manners?

So I had a chance to test one of these bad boys antigen tests today with emergency FDA authorization.

15m, at home. Basically works like a pregnancy test, you swab your nose, insert it into a small booklet with some catalyst, close and wait to see if you get a little pink line under the control line.

$25 for two tests that can be taken 36 hours apart. Pretty good confidence intervals too.

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/coronavirus-covid-19-update-fda-issues-new-authorization-binaxnow-covid-19-ag-card-home-test

Why would need emergency FDA authorization?

Do these weekly at work

I’m finding the media coverage of India problematic so I have dug into the numbers

DEATHS PER MILLION

India 155
Ireland 1000
USA 1754
UK 1913

The media is only reporting total numbers when it comes to deaths. The numbers sound terrible, but even if only half the cases are showing up in official stats India is still only 20% of the USA death toll

However, when it comes to vaccinations the media chooses to use vaccinations per million of population

Making a drama out of a crisis much?

You’re using the wrong numbers, because India has 4 times the US population and way more population density.

How about these horrifying numbers.

Yesterday in the US, we had 40,000 new cases and just 470 deaths.

In india, it was almost 400,000 new cases and 4,000 deaths. That puts India on track for a weekly death toll dwarfing any country to date.

At this rate India will surpass the US in about 100 days. And with that rate of cases it’s very possible India could be the source of the new mutations, any one of which has the potential to turn COVID deadlier.

However, my gripe is then misleading presentation of data

Absolute numbers far deaths

Numbers per million for vaccines

Also, given the high vaccine hesitancy in the US, 100 days in the future is not necessarily rosy over there either

When stats get misleading, I go strategic. It’s easy to debate specific, overly focused trends claimed in graphical form (See: Lying with Statistics), but it’s hard to argue with this: You can actually see the Indian rate spike in logarithmic form, as a factor of global infection spread. That’s a big deal, because this virus doesn’t give a shit about “walls”.

And if the last year has taught us anything, it’s that an outbreak in India can lead to an outbreak anywhere else.

One mutation is enough to recreate the entire experience with a Sars-COV-3 for which there is no vaccine.

India is not the world’s demographic.

The sky is not falling.

India has only 10% of the population vaccinated

But that’s frickin 136,600,000 people!

1 Like

It is sad to see to see though.

India has so few resources shared between so many people that almost nobody gets a fair shake.

If 1 in 1000 die in a place with the population of New Delhi it’ll look like the apocalypse in the morgue.

Yeah like 911 was only 10 people per million in the US what was all the fuss about ?

Allot of people is allot of people regardless of how many you have labelled as your own.

Well, let’s get on with the extinction of the great white shark then

And crocodiles , black widow spiders , scorpions .

I’d lose no sleep .

Oh and stingrays they killed steve Irwin and he did bjj so f them too .

17.7% of the earth’s population is experiencing an infection rate 10x that of the US, and we’ve been the poster child for bad COVID outbreak for a year now.

We’re only weeks into this outbreak in India. Things could get far worse very fast over there.

By comparison, the outbreak in Wuhan that started COVID19 was tiny compared to what’s going on in India now. They’re burning bodies in the streets, at scale.

If the current trends in the US continue with regards vaccine uptake, there is a good possibility that herd immunity levels will be reached

That means new variants can develop that could defeat they vaccines

The US isn’t out of the woods yet

Nepal is at +1200% infections, Sri Lanka about +500%.

“First wave, second wave”. hehe.