Your No-BS guide to BMI - Body Mass Index

Originally published at: Your No-BS guide to BMI - Body Mass Index - Bullshido

72% of Americans are obese, but before you make that New Year’s Resolution you have no intention of keeping, let’s clarify those numbers and graphs for you…

3 Likes

Good article.

…stands twice to cast a 28% shadow…

Your mom is so fat she make up 50% all by herself

Yo mama so fat, when she sits around the house, she really sits around the house.

Your momma so fat, other fat ladies are in orbit around her.

On BMI: 25 BMI for me at a little over 6’ is 186. When I was in marathon training and my weight got to 183 or so, I had several people ask me if I was OK. They were concerned I had cancer or something. BMI does not apply for athletes.

Your mum is so fat that when she sun bathes on the beach, well meaning locals rub her down with lanolin and try to roll her back into the ocean

Despite being SVELTE!, BMI calls me border line anorexic

Which is hurtful

I just want to thank you all for your thought provoking replies…

Picture for gloriousness :smiley:

As a small fat kid, now 6’2" male who was deemed overweight on the BMI scale even when I got out of basic military training and looked like a chemo patient with slightly more hair and stronger legs, I agree that BMI is a poor tool for individuals.
But can we find something better? Hydrostatic weighing of the entire population might be a tad dramatic, but what about hip/waist ratio? Or BMI with a modifier for fitness? Or this “new” thing, RFM? (link)

Regardless, I think it is fair to claim that people are getting fatter. I see increasing numbers of people on the subway (well, not right now, b/c corona lockdown) every day, every week, every month, who have grown out of their regular-sized clothes and into a muumuu :flushed:

When you write such an informative well done article, what else can we do?

Your mum is so fat she surfs the web just to accept cookies

3 Likes

Older thread, but since someone else necroed it. I’m pretty scrawny. Even at my most “athletic” I could never put on enough muscle to get outside the normal BMI band.

Most attempts to quantitatively measure humans, that are also based on finite categories… are bullshit.

In this case you’re basically looking at somebody’s attempt to bucket everyone on Earth into three buckets.

According to Mersenne number theory and the most advanced axiological value science…that’s just dumb.

You are either fat or you are not.

Various stages of fatness between not and fat.

Obese if you want to sound all sciency.

Fat is critical for long-term survival. Fat is stored energy, like those energy tanks in Metroid.

1 Like

im ready for the apocalypse

Fat people will be eaten first. They can’t run fast, no cardio, and are too big to effectively hide.

Nice knowing you two.

Fat people are hungrier and more motivate to find food

Us SVELTE! folk best keep up the cardio

It’s RENDERING TIME.

To be fair fat people will last longer in cold environments.

2 Likes

Will need more heat source to render, for sure. Find extra wood.