Why Catch Wrestling is the grappling future in mma

Okay, I wrestled for six years and have trained in BJJ for 7 years this summer. Therefore, I base my opinions off of almost 13 years of grappling experience, but you’re right, I could be wrong.

How long have you trained in grappling?

I’m not going there. And I’m not saying that you’re not an experienced grappler…I’m just saying that since you’re higher off the ground when you’re directly on your knees then CLEARLY the man underneath has more space to work with than if you were lower. Also, there’s less pressure on his chest helping to pin him down. The more you can lower your hips when you’re on top - the harder it is for him to maneuver other than trying to bridge.

This is basic common sense.

You didn’t answer his question: how long have you trained in grappling in total, or or just wrestling for that matter?

jnp explained the length of his background as a response to you trying to lecture him (basically telling him he’s wrong) on a field he has more than a decade of experience.

It would behoove you, then, if you are a honest person with nothing to hide, to answer his question (how long your experience is) so that one can judge the dept of expertise when calling him wrong (or anyone for that matter.)

So, are you going to answer to his question (an honest, simple and straight-to-the-point question), or are you going to simply say “I’m going there” as the starting point of another long, ‘femeral artery’ nebulous route?

VP: I’ll concede that point. Which is why none of the guys I’ve seen in No Gi are ever on their knees in side control unless they are specifically about to set something up. They move from sprawled out and blocking with a hip or arm to maybe one knee up for a transition or attack, then back to sprawled. There is no static “Sit on both your knees and try to hold side control” position. Only noobs sit on both knees.

Read the part in bold above carefully. If you don’t understand, then you need more experience.

JNP: I think you may have to concede that here is a marginal, though insignificant loss of pressure when in side control with your knees under as opposed to sprawled out on your toes. You just can’t bring as much weight into play when some of that weight is on the ground already. This may not result in any loss in PRESSURE since Weight and Pressure aren’t the same and there are other ways to generate pressure, but it does clearly result in a lessening of the weight the bottom man is supporting.

Don’t bother with this guy JNP, it is a waste of time.
He’s is long on words and short (i.e. nonexistent) when it comes to substance.

Kintanon, regarding to loss of pressure, that’s not what I’m arguing against in this instance. VP stated that being on your knees creates more space. That is simply not the case if you know how to keep your butt low. Yes you can generate more pressure by straightening your legs, staying on your toes and sagging your hips.

I have more to say, but it will have to wait until I get home.

I understand what you’re saying about how lowering your butt doesn’t provide the same amount of space for the guy underneath - and in fact lessons it. Granted. But because the amount of weight he’s carrying is not as much as if you’re off your knees completely - and since doing so completely eliminates space - I would still argue that it’s a tighter, heavier ride that provides less space for the guy underneath to maneuver with.

But there’s a bigger issue here: the catch idea is that there’s no reason to have to look to transition to top saddle (mount) as a major part of your strategy at this point. If you can control your man with this type of pin down you are setting up striking from cross chest (side control) position as a possible finish or as a means to help set up a submission finish from here. The more you limit his maneuverability - the more vulnerable he becomes.

you can get to mount ith out going on your knees. I’ve only been doing BJJ for say 2 months but I havvvvve learnt 2 ways of going from side control to mount I don’t actually think if they involve going to your knees its hard to explain though. One was a knee ride top mount but I can’t explain the other one. How much grappling experioence do you have Parlati and do you have any experience in BJJ.

If we’re going to talk about catch in MMA, what about Erik Paulson’s guys? If I recall correctly, Paulson had trained in Catch in Japan before he earned his BJJ Blackbelt, and created his Combat Submission Wrestling by combining what he believed were the best attributes of BJJ and Catch. Also, isn’ there still a strong Catch/Shoot Wrestling scene in Japan?

tsk, over here: No BS Martial Arts - View Single Post - Why Catch Wrestling is the grappling future in mma

Haven’t all the useful techniques from catch already been incorporated into BJJ? What can you get from training catch that you couldn’t already get from training BJJ?

From my experience rolling with the guys from a catch club in Madison: Leg locks, suplexes, and steroids. Also, catch is American, not imported from some foreign country like a mexican gardener.

Leg locks have long since made their way into BJJ and BJJ doesn’t need steriods. Catch guys just seem to focus on leg locks.

Royce might disagree with you on that one. To be fair, it is not the whole club, but they have one guys who is the poster boy for requiring piss tests in grappling tournaments.

Learn to use the quote function you fucking idiot.

^^^ You may as well ask a lobster to calculate the volume of a cylinder :tongue6:

After discussing it with the moderator who trollshidoed this thread, I am upgrading it to YMAS.

I have met Victor Parlati IRL. He teaches his version of Catch Wrestling/Traditional Wing Chun in Brooklyn, NY. He isn’t trolling and truly believes what he writes.

Someone please just shoot me.