Ukemi Training To Reduce Fall Risk

So I came across this and found it pretty interesting. It sounds like a good idea, but I do wonder just how many reps an average person would need to be able to break out the ukemi when the real suprise of an unexpected fall happens. There is also the question of ongoing training that I suspect would be neglected.

I bit it hard a couple weeks ago when I tripped over a tree root that was covered by leaves. I definitely didn’t have time to react and just crashed without any intelligent response.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/fall-safely-over-65-154349128.html

So I have to say out of all the martial arts training i got, going to the Bujinkan early in my life under the instructor I had might have been the most beneficial thing i ever did. He had a kickboxing and fencing background before moving into ninjutsu, and the thing is, we did spar with shinai and softer weapon variations, and we did hit each other in contact scenarios most classes (not as hard as I did in knockdown or get thrown like i did in judo) but he stressed breakfalling and rolling every single session.

I’ve slipped on ice or fallen many a time over the years, and the breakfalling has been so ingrained in me that if anything that was the most valuable thing i got out of the system. I dont want to think about the times i could have split my skull on concrete here

1 Like

Let me be the first to say it.

Thank God you found the one useful thing in all of Ninjutsu.

Never forget: the ninja foreseen is half avoided.

I did judo and gymnastics as a kid. And have broken out the suprise ukemi successfully a few times.

But I think that ingrains at a different level when you are young.

well I am dyspraxic, coordination issues are common with people who have it, especially balance. Having that breakfalling drilled into me the way it did has helped me multiple times and i went into judo already able to do something a lot of others in my club struggled with when they came with no experience. I’d say breakfalling is basically a lifeskill at this point

2 Likes

Falling skills are arguably the most useful physical skill we teach in martial arts and combat sports.

2 Likes

What’s your perspective on the minimal amount of training required for this to be effective? It sounds like a great idea, but my concern is people come in for a one hour session and don’t devote sufficient time to learning and maintaining the skill.

my perspective, you treat em like this to drill it

It’s not just quantity, but quality.
While I am an advocate of competing methods in many things, including ukemi,
it’s surprising how many schools treat ukemi practice like broccoli without cheese,
go through the motions, and do so wrongly.
Not competing methods “there is a rationale for the variance”, but just flat out thoughtlessly and wrong.
And again, I am someone who recognizes valid and useful competing methods across wrestling, a few type of Japanese martial arts approaches to ukemi, gymnastics and tumbling ukemi, parkour falling, etc.
Practice something incorrectly many times, and what you end up with is a deeply ingrained bad set of habits.

1 Like

Warm ups.

More characters.

In my Aikido school we practiced 30 side falls and 30 back falls before class to warm up. It taught me ukemi pretty well.

1 Like