Some German swordsmanship training group from S.Korea

Video

Been following the group for a while. Their head researcher is a good man and has made a lot of contributions to interpreting ancient Korean martial arts manuals.

1 Like

That looks really dangerous

Good thing they were wearing masks :monicle:

Here’s the thing. I’ve talked with the head researcher. He argues that senior members in his group are encouraged to spar without masks in order to refine technique - the fear of getting bonked on the head helps them commit to proper defense, and the fear of injuring his opponent helps develop control.

Weird theory but I guess it worked for them.

I think the theory is sound

Do any of the practitioners have dueling scars?

Haven’t seen them up close but probably nah.

Those metal practice swords aren’t all that hard hitting.

Do they wear goggles?

I couldn’t see on my phone screen

And

Prima Posta

1 Like

Sorry for not going through all their videos but do they practice grappling with their swordmanship?

LOL. They would die. Its like in BJJ where there’s one guy that turns his back after every exchange.

1 Like

Godamnit now youtube is recommending shit like this to me.

1 Like

Well they’re suppose to practice throws and armbars with their swordmanship. In HEMA anyway.

I mean they disengage.

Wasn’t that the premis of trad JJ?

Unarmed warrior against armed warrior

ju jutsu has techniques against armed opponents. But I’m talking about grappling while you have a sword.

In the first judo kata , uke attacks with an over hand strike , tori performs ippon seoi nage

I was taught to act, as uke, as if you were an armoured samurai striking with an overhead sword chop

I was taught that this was an hangover from the JJ origins

It may be bullshit though

wtf GIF by Universal Music Africa

1 Like

Japanese swords were usually wielded with two hands, though.

Ippon Seoi demonstrates a principle more than anything specific.

1 Like