Small circle jiu jitsu?

Have any of you guys done SSJJ, if so is it any good?

Aesopian said this about Small Circle JJ:

https://www.bullshido.net/forums/forum/main-discussion-forums/martial-arts-bs-fraud-investigations-chi-etc/23487-small-circle-jiujitsu

I think SCJJ is meant to be added to Judo etc

You can add any art as a supplement, but you need to have a base to work from. Wrestling, Judo, BJJ, savate, MT, boxing… You aren’t going to turn into a super secret ninja fighting in invitation-only kumite by studying the stupid shit. Gross movements win fights.

(pic for funsies, made ya look!)

Nothing stopping you wrist locking fools in big circle jujitsu. Just don’t be a spaz about it.

I muck around with it a bit.

8 posts were split to a new topic: Right Plower symbols

I’ve read Wally Jay’s book. It’s just sort of a way to get more leverage. Pretty standard Japanese Jujutsu for the most part. Is Wally Jay still alive?

Oh, no. He died in 2011.

I’ve been to two seminars. If you are an old dude (RIP now) who is good at small joint manipulations, and can get people to pull your finger, it’s good.

There is probably some useful stuff in there, but it’s not worth the effort, IMO.

I had Wally Jay’s book and gave it away decades ago. I had actually forgotten I ever read it.

I’ve had some experiences with SSJJ and it’s kind of a mixed bag. Much like it’s Danzan Ryu parentage, the quality control is all over the place ranging anywhere from Aikido to MMA in a Gi with most being in the former

2 Likes

I went to two seminars/training things with Wally Jay. Never pull his finger…

That said, it wasn’t totally useless. Kind of in the whole seminar back scratch circle of things, though.

I actively support one SS/DR organization because they put on a decent number of well run and fun competitions. North American Combat Jujitsu Federation based in NC is honestly pretty great at what they do

Do they allow finger pulling?

I wish. It’s more or less an expanded version of European Sport Jujitsu with more allowances for striking on the ground

I think this is more a supplement art to control someone, watching Wally Jay on YouTube he did a lot of judo

I do like a sneaky wrist lock. But the only way I have ever managed to get them on is to control and isolate the arm or break the posture pretty much using wrestling.

Two on one Russians and that kind of thing.

But I also don’t crank them on because I might be an arsehole. But I am not a fucking arsehole. And that makes my life a bit harder.

As far as I am concerned the tools are 90% in your standard grappling anyway. And not really some super secret addition.

So yeah. He is sort of standing off and just hitting the wrist.

Where I would be more likely to be climbing all over the guy to get it.

Wally Jay was at least a 6th degree black belt in Judo, as I recall. He told me in person back in the early 90s.

He told me Judo is all in the wrists…

1 Like

The secret to getting wristlocks is to punch people in the face.

1 Like

Mifune Sensei said something very similiar, for kuzushi in Judo, and many Aikidokas say something quite similar.

It is kind of a cop out. Saying if your submissions don’t work you plus one.

The issue you have is then maybe they punch you in the face back, making wrist locks harder to pull off.