Is a Karate takedown with one arm pulling the collar, possible to pull off on a judoka?

I know the technique you mention. I have pulled it off in sparring a couple of times. Mostly taking advantage of overextended lunging attacks which are very particular to some forms of karate. So, no chance at all of pulling it off against someone with good balance and/or any kind of grappling experience.

I think you can see picture by picture breakdowns of that takedown in one of the kumite books in the Best Karate series by M. Nakayama, of Shotokan.

So instead of trying to pull off low percentage trick moves, train grappling instead, as recommended by most everyone.

1 Like

and not just the grappling, but the clinching, and the striking too

1 Like

My memory was not as bad as I thought.

Notice the horribly overextended lunge fist as I mentioned before. Fat chance you would see any opponent with any grappling knowledge giving you a chance like that. In less overstated fashion, I have done the collar pull-down on people who did side kicks but that is of course giving the balance away in ways nobody else would.

So I find the whole idea of the original question rather ridiculous. Counter techniques depend mostly on what they oppose, and no grappler of any style is going to give you such openings. You may as well take the back from such a position anyway.