Help this fucker get back in the game

Ive been looking lately at what I want to do training wise. For years as a teen I was in the bujinkan before the club shut down, then I tried my hand at a few things via seminars when I was in a transport hub town for uni before settling into a goju ryu karate club that also did knockdown rules and trained judo on the side. The pandemic kinda screwed the ability to train and since then I had to focus on work. I actually turned to online training and I intend to keep that going in styles I don’t have easy access to locally, such as the 123 de campo university for escrima and I’m open to learning other styles like taekyun from home as supplementary to doing in person training. That last bit, the in person stuff, is where I want to ask you guys for some advice.

I left the karate school after realizing I was the only adult there who stuck with the school, there’s a few teens and a lot of kids even in the mixed age and adult classes. The remaining adults are into the ‘meridians’ for takedowns, the main instructor has felt less involved in classes and delegating to senior students and others he has hired who I just do not gel with and lost my enjoyment for training. I’ve elected to look for something else to do.

Generally, I kinda past long forms, kata etc. I want to get into stuff that’s going be working simple, straightforward movements in a live setting, easing back in.

I’ve got a few options, and I want your thoughts.

Judo: I got to third kyu but havent trained since we went into lockdown here in the UK, would be interested in getting back on the mat and continuing up to 1st kyu and going from there. I’m not overly concerned with competition and don’t even know how I’d feel doing so with my transition, even though I’m on low dose estrogen, I don’t know how i feel about competing with men or women, not that I ever enjoyed that aspect to begin with. What’s good is that my instructor has a greco-roman background, and has opened what he is calling ‘freestyle judo’ classes once a week. These are no gi and incorporate more of his wrestling into the system. These classes would be monday and tuesday at 7pm

Muay Thai - At the gym I work at, we have numerous fighters, and one of them I’m friendly with invited me along to the muay thai club to check it out. It’s on twice a week when I can make it regularly, one sparring, one padwork and technical class. I think this would compliment Judo and be a rounded style of striking. I think I may have to adapt my footwork a bit from the knockdown karate because I got used to just tanking shots and head punches weren’t common place. These classes would be wednesday 7pm for the technical, and I could stay for sparring when I’ve built up and can do the follow on class at 8pm-9pm

This brings me to my next option.

Boxing - Another PT i’m friendly with has an amateur boxing background, and while I’d lose out on knees, elbows and kicks, I think I could a lot out of boxing for my hands. I’ve done knockdown and some k-1 rules kickboxing before but I don’t have the head movement of boxing because I’ve never really had it in my training and I feel I’m seriously lacking in that regard. I think learning that and how to work with boxers could be vital for me now, as I’m no longer the 5’10, 100kg powerlifter tank who could take shots from smaller people and just bully them with my mass.

I’d have to choose between boxing and muay thai, and I’m leaning towards the latter so I don’t lose out on kicks.

Thoughts?

I guess it comes down to where you feel you are most likely to use it?

I tend to recommend boxing for generally self defence over muay thai if you already have your grappling covered.

Be it for self defence , street fighting or vengeance there really is no substitute for well trained punches to the face or as my fighter friends in the US would say the “two piece and a soda”

But Muay Thai training is more fun IMO but generally speaking people that train it are mostly lunatics a bit like drummers in a band , they are all tatted up scaffolders with short fuses.

That sounds so specific I find it hard to believe you weren’t just training with one scaffolding company of muay thai enthusiasts

I like boxing because of the concentration on a very narrow skill set means early stage skill progression is faster, but I’m biased

However, certainly round here at the level I coach, there is no clinch practiced , which is disadvantageous

Can you get a MT coach to teach you to box?

No, but they do also teach BJJ some nights, which might have just solidified my choice

How about kudo?

Boxing + osoto gari/hip throw from the clinch

If you are ever in Southend message me and ill take you to 4 places like it :smiley:

1 Like

Northwest here.

Gone. The old karate school did used to do something similar but the nearest kudo place to me is 186 miles away and in this economy for fuel, plus the little one and my job, I cannot do that. Im looking to stick within a few miles, regular training.

1 Like

I wonder then, if there’s a correlation between southend scaffolders taking up muay thai to deal with short fuses… because this sounds like the beginnings of a modern hidden ninja clan

the village hidden in the scaffolding is bottom of the barrell naruto stuff…

Its the meth that makes the short fuse. On scaffolders.

If you do a dutch style muay thai. They should be pretty handsy anyway. So you will get your boxing, sort of and still get to kick.

Our guys tend to be handsy.

Now im curious. This sounds like an enemy type in a video game

the anpheta-fighters are an angry bunch, bought into the cult of southside thai, they are commonly found in the scaffolding areas. When their HP is below 40 percent, they dose up and sacrifice defense for immense power.

1 Like

An update.

Due to changes in the schedule of when I run yoga classes, I have now opened up some more time. Here is the currently plan

Monday 6.15am Boxing
Tuesday 7pm Freestyle Judo (No Gi)
Saturday 10am BJJ, followed by MMA at 11

I dont think that’s a bad mix of classes

4 Likes