Evidence based mass shooter prevention

Don’t we have to use per capita, though, to fairly compare?

That was along the lines of @BrevardFighter 's original point.
But then @doofaloofa implied by question, that poverty should be controlled for.
And, I suspect that he did not know nor realize, that there are many more poor white families in the United States, than poor black families in the United States.

You don’t get a felony assault with a deadly weapon charge and conviction for watching a gang shooting from the window of your apartment. The BJS stats are based on arrests and convictions.

Usually yes, but mostly white males.

Agreed, of course.

What do you think that would change exactly?

I would say that violence and violent lifestyles are as much to do with poverty as race

I don’t think it has anything to do with race.

Meaning, a person’s race is purely coincidental, when it comes to whether they are violent or not.

An exception to this, is that another person’s race, may be very material, as to whether or not other people, are violent, or xenophobic to them.

Another related exception, another’s race may be very material regarding who they themselves are violent or xenophobic to, and even in some cases, they may select or prefer members of their own racial or ethnic group as their victims of violence, or prejudice, which sounds odd, but seems to happen in some cases.

No but if you live in proximity to those things you probably live somewhere with a high crime rate.

I’m not aware of any causal link between skin tone and how a violent a person is.

Some crimes but not all crimes, what intent is there behind criminal negligence?

Would depend on the law of the jurisdiction, so, I don’t know.

Let’s say I was out hunting. I see a deer. Target is clear, with a safe backstop.

I shoot the deer, but, unknown to me, another hunter was on the other side of the deer, stalking it.

Bullet goes through the deer, hits the other hunter, and kills him/her.

Or I miss, and hit the other hunter, who I could not see.

I’ve actually had to dive for cover, hunting Elk (Wapiti), because I was stalking the same herd in heavy, dark cover. Other guys saw the elk, but I could not. They started shooting, had no idea I was on the other side of the herd.

I literally hit the dirt with 4 shots going right over my head. I never saw those hunters, they never saw me.

And I nearly shot a guy just like that deer hunting. Had no idea he was in the bushes about 20’ from a buck I shot. I was shooting down, into the ground, in a safe direction, from a tree, about 200 yards from the deer. He never saw that deer.

I got down out of the tree to go retrieve the animal. He walked up and was shaking like a leaf, told me he had no idea I was in the tree, and when I shot, the bullet passed through the deer, and went through the brush by him.

If I had shot that guy, there was literally no basis to charge me with anything.

Thank you for clarifying but I didn’t say there are no exceptions. I’m not sure what percentage is for hunting accidents of the whole firearm homicide pie but I would think it’s pretty low.

But let’s say someone is out hunting with their friend and after a few beers in the stand they decide to call it quits and one person slings their gun over their shoulder and it goes off because they didn’t secure it properly before handling it.

Or someone is just blind firing into the woods and then hits someone hiking…

Obviously context matters when discussing crime.

That was my whole point to begin with.

This a reason, that I am very careful where I hunt.
To be specific, public hunting lands are wonderful, except when there are a bunch of hunters, armed with guns on them…
And it is an argument for bow and crossbow hunting.
Not that arrows and bolts aren’t dangerous.
But they don’t tend to go as far.
I don’t say this for you, as we both know that you know far more about hunting, than I, because you do it more, and have done it more, for years.

The guy who I shot by, through the deer, was on private property, on which I had pretty much exclusive, legal, hunting permission.

Dude was trespassing and sneaking around…

The Elk one, though, was on public land.

I tend to avoid places with higher hunter density on public land. There is a lot of space to hunt out here, with 70%+ of county land being public land.

It can be an issue, though, for sure. I in general do not like being around other unknown people who are hunting. Or handling firearms in general.

1 Like

Or stating it another way. If you are in an area where people are know to be shooting. The more shooting going on raises the probabilities of getting shot.

If BKR was just at home instead of out hunting elk that day. Based on where he lives, he probably has a much lesser chance of being shot; sitting in his kitchen, peeling potatoes, atop his pot of gold.

An American has a much, much greater chance of being killed by their physician, or medical provider, or pharmacist committing a preventable medical error, than being murdered by a firearm.

Thank you for the info

but I’m just talking about a change in probability of being shot.

Not all the other harms that are possible.

Since we are talking about firearm related homicides.

To your point, avoid the 2% of U.S. municipalities where 50% of all the murders happen, and the risk goes way down.
Then again, avoid bars, beau’ing up, road rage, and other foolish behaviors, and the risk goes way down, as well.
And the hardest thing of all, don’t be around people, that might kill you, including family, spouses, friends, and neighbors.

That’s not what the data shows tbqh.