Critical Race Theory: The Thread

Only white people are offended by CRT? Interesting. Might as well get it out of the way and say only white cis male Republican-identifying blue collar Fox News viewers, predominately from the southeast of the USA screaming “All Lives Matter,” and “Blue Lives Matter,” at the top of their violent gun-toting insurrectionist lungs, whilst they cling to their Bibles and backwards-ass views on sexuality, indentity-morphisms, Patriotism™, illegal immigration, and voting rights.

I agree, let’s have a master class on marginalizing people.

Did I say that? Pretty sure I didn’t. I actually watched a debate (of sorts) with two black people on the anti-CRT side, so I’m aware that there’s some diversity. There always is. It’s just that the throng of people waving “Parents standing up” signs is inevitably a vast silly putty-colored sea.

You didn’t say there were a million more-generously-pigmented people crying about it, so I took it as read that was your meaning. Wow, full circle, there, huh?

I get an error when I just try to include both of these quotes, hence this sentence between them.

So, interpreting it accurately - you can quantify these million whiteys getting their panties in a bunch? Or, were you omitting the fact that non-whiteys are also pissed off about it, in an effort to elicit a response? Or, were you just being negligent in your quest to get in another jab in a textual format? I could probably come up with some other interpretations - none of which offend me by the way, we’re just pressure-testing ideas, here.

Side question. Why does getting upset about something justify that thing?

I mean if a coloured person got upset about eugenics. I would suggest that would be a pretty fair reaction.

Wtf does your whining have to do with CRT?

If you want to interpret what someone says accurately, the first step would be to actually read it.

I was replying to the statement that people can make a conscious decision not to be offended, and my counter-evidence was the current hysteria in response to CRT. I then went on to give further argumentation about why it’s not true that taking offense is deliberate, which @submessenger ignored in favor of making wild assumptions about my feelings about various groups of white people, which actually worked brilliantly to demonstrate my point. So, thanks for that.

As a reminder-- being offended is simply being bothered, usually with the connotation that you’re bothered by something you see as insulting or immoral. There’s nothing wrong with being offended, which is a good thing since it’s an emotion and humans have very little control over their emotions. Indeed, social change can only happen when enough people are decent enough to be offended by indecency.

It doesn’t. People get upset for bad reasons all of the time. They also get upset for good reasons.

There are a bunch of good reasons to be upset about eugenics, whoever you are.

(And just a suggestion-- try “person of color” or “POC” rather than “coloured person.” I know it may sound silly since they appear to say the same thing, but that’s part of the linguistic point of avoiding slurs-- specific words can have a very dark history attached to them, and that history pops to mind for the listener when you use them, which is not ideal when that’s not what you’re actually talking about.)

1 Like

Most Americans support the U.S. military but have little understanding of it, which may explain why the purported rise of “wokeness” in the ranks has generated so much interest. But there are larger and more pervasive issues impacting service members and their families than the debate over whether or not the military should teach critical race theory or if it is becoming too woke.

The issues go beyond party and politics. As a matter of fact, they’ve persisted regardless of which president was in office or which Congressional majority was in power. And as Jacob Silverman recently argued, no one can credibly claim that “wokeness” is somehow responsible for strategic missteps in the Global War on Terror, nor can critical race theory be blamed for troops having to dodge roadside bombs in Iraq and Afghanistan. “ISIS wasn’t inspired by Americans’ use of gender-neutral pronouns,” Silverman writes.

These are just a few of the issues facing the U.S. military today that merit your attention, your energy, and in all honesty, no small measure of outrage.

1 Like

Great article. Thank you.

Memes are the modern equivalent of Roman political graffiti and mostly worthless to anything approaching meaningful discussion.

This particular meme is definitely worthless, so I won’t argue with you there. I did post it to make fun of it, after all.

All of this only works on people that want to be better. Most people don’t want to be better, they just want permission.

1 Like

Thank you for posting the article, here’s hoping people start demanding we take care of our people. I’m also glad they outline the significant role racism has in undermining our military and harming the people who serve, along with a ton of other (what should be) well known issues that also need attention.

I fucking hate it when assholes use their opposition to whatever they imagine CRT (or the newest monster under their bed) to be as moral cover for avoiding actual issues like civilian reintegration help or perennial recruitment problem for the military.

Looking at how far we’ve come in the institutional racism front and how much farther we have to go is not that terrifying.

I am Australian we are culturally insensitive.

Please don’t American wash me.

Ameriwash?

I don’t know.

Anyway. Piss takes are a legitimate part of our makeup.

Y’all, I an genuinely frightened at this point.

However you feel about critical race theory, we must agree that it’s unacceptable to harass, threaten, or lie about educators who were placed in their roles to perform responsibilities related to diversity, anti-discrimination, etc.

Many of these people occupied these roles before most people had heard the fearsome initialism, and it’s important for them to remain in these roles.
America does have a history of horrifically racist events that many schools don’t teach about.
You cannot learn from history if you don’t learn it in the first place.

Can’t we all agree on these things?

Listening to the Behind the Bastards podcast has made me hyper-aware of the continent-wide antisemitism that existed for decades before Hitler was radicalized by the post-WW1 version of 8-Chan and realized he could scapegoat Jews on the way to his fascist utopia.

I’m worried that the backlash against CRT and BLM is going to usher a new age of American racism, and don’t want to think about where it might lead if that happens. We are, after all, human. Humans do this stuff sometimes.

When administered in a toxic way, CRT and BLM has already ushered in a new age of American racism.
And the backlash to those two phenomenons being conducted in a racist way, will incite counter racism, meaning more racism, not less.

I think it takes more than a couple of academics condemning whiteness to usher in any ages of anything.

Adults being told they are racist because of the color of their skin, won’t melt, if they are not hypersensitive.
However, school teachers telling white children that they or their parents are racist due solely to the color of their skin should be fired to prevent justified greater protest or consequence to same.