Consent is a thing, in Grapple Fu, and Fighting

Harvey Weinstein and Bill Cosby,
Have nothing, on all the grapple fu instructors who kept submission holds after taps,
and/or who told their students to do the same.
Outside of paid competition.
“Loyalty”.
What a bunch of bullshit.
They should have their day to be brought to Justice,
Except there is none.
But you know who they are, and you know who you are.
Cowardly Bill Cosby fucks.

More specifics please.

The post is pretty self explanatory.

Virtue signalling?

Have you got a guilty conscience dr?

About breaking people’s arms on command for the first eight years of my BJJ career?

Certainly.

I should be remorseful about that, and discourage the practice.

And for the past 20 years, I have discouraged and opposed the practice.

That’s a thing? Never heard of that. Any injuries were accidents.

I doubt you are being serious, but for the other readers, gym enforcers are a thing.

And certainly were in the nineties.

Although I do see them pop up here and there, now, too.

And there certainly have been some recent youtube videos.

My take is, when someone taps, they withdraw consent.

If you persist in applying a submission past the tap, particularly outside of professional competition for money, where a referee is standing by to stop the action, then the activity becomes criminal assault / battery.

I’m absolutely being serious. As a gym enforcers, it’s more like dynamic sweeps that feel like throws, quick subs, lots of slamming into stuff, heavy pressure, and a general ruthlessness so dude feels dominated. Always respected the tap and every opponent on the mats or in comp has. If I was playing hard and got injured when caught, it’s cause I chose escape instead of tap.

That is how the gyms are supposed to act.

That is certainly not how many gyms acted in the nineties, and some, still to this day.

The point of the post, is to point out, that it is criminal behavior to break someone’s limb past a tap, particularly in non-money matches.

And, it is cowardly behavior to start a roll with the intention to do so, giving the impression to the counter party that it is a casual roll, with neutral or good intentions.

1 Like

That is because you were not acting in an evil, nor cowardly fashion.

Agreed. I was at a tourney once and a guy got confused and was breaking my arm. So I cooked back to hit him and was like “TAP MOTHERFUCKER!” Then he let me go. Don’t think he was malicious, but BJJ leaves injuries that can last a lifetime, so it’s best everyone plays it safe.

1 Like

So the context is a mat enforcer that took it too far? Was this something you witness? Something that happened to one of your students visiting another gym?

My initial interest was spurred by what inspired you to make such a post in the first place.

Oh, hell yeah they are. In Judo, for sure, especially in Japan.

I’ve even taken part in it, once, a long time ago. Had a guy who hated women, and decided he was going to hurt one in randori. He literally, after getting a huge beating, was thrown out the door, in his judogi, followed by his gym bag, semi-conscious, never to be seen again.

Many such mat enforcers, and unscrupulous instructors.

I have been doing Gracie Jiu-Jitsu for 30 years, and Judo and Wrestling for longer than that.

I have seen this happen many times.

In fact, I did it myself on command for the first eight years or so, as a Gracie Jiu-Jitsu practitioner.

However, one of my instructors had the good grace to let my knuckleheaded self know that it was neither necessary, nor a morally correct directive to obey.

Sadly, I needed someone else in a command position that I respected to encourage me to think for myself.

And for the past 20 years, I have been discouraging the practice of punishing people that way on the mats.

But, yeah, I have seen people cause lasting injury to other people many times, often past the tap, and often without a full announcement that it was not a casual roll.

I would like to think that it happens less on a percentage basis, now, than in the 90’s when it was more common than not.

It is something that I have had to tell my own students not to do, on a number of occasions.

Charity begins at home, and so does promoting good behavior, and discouraging bad behavior.

Yeah, this was the old school way, in Gracie Jiu-Jitsu schools, Judo schools, and many other martial arts schools.

It is not, and was not, in retrospect, a good way.

Whats ironic here is that if that’s your mentality, you should quit BJJ and study Shaolin. You’d learn how to grapple much more efficiently. The main advantage BJJ offers is the safe training, so if you’re gonna skip that aspect, you may as well go for the good stuff. When I started training in kung fu, I was shredding BJJ guys, most of whom couldn’t track the flow or handle the damage the submissions dealt.

The best of Chinese martial arts, aka Kung Fu, may have come from the Mongol Empire.

Regarding weaponless combat, they were expert belt wrestlers.

And, every place they went, was left with a tradition of belt wrestling.

Among other traditions of Mongol Bad Assery.

That is where Japan got Sumo.

And if not for the fickle weather making it too expensive to bother, Japan would have been a minor Mongol colony.

Of course, most Samurai folklore is bullshit.

But the Mongols were the real deal, regarding martial prowess.

Whether we call that Kung Fu, or whatever the Mongols in their day, and their Chinese dialects, called it.

Which are the mongol styles?

Basically I think taiji cannon and trembling crane are the best.

Again, every place they went, was left with belt wrestling, traditions.

Among other things.