TransHuman: Your No BS guide to Laurel Hubbard and the Olympics

I think a couple of things have been missed in this post. The mechanical advantages from growing up as a male are not really to do with bigger or denser bones. There are over 3000 skeletal muscle genes that are expressed and regulated differently between biological males and females which results in huge differences in things like contractile function, heavy chain expression, and muscle fiber composition.

Another issue is that with the 10 nanomole allowance Trans athletes could cycle in a different way as they won’t have to cycle off completely in order to pass testing which means even if everyone in the Olympics is cheating the rules for Trans athletes allows them to cheat more than biological female athletes.

Just dropping in here to kick the anthill now that Laurel H failed to sweep the olympics

Nonsense

Winning competitions is no way to mesure a person’s ability, something, something, she old

Winning and losing is how you measure one person’s ability.

It’s just not how you measure everyone’s ability in a population.

It’s very easy to employ strawman arguments to create misunderstanding.

I wish Hubbard well and I hope everyone like her finds the peace and happiness that eludes us all.

Hubbard being nearly on par with competitors half “her,” age is all you need to know.

1 Like

I think you missed the massive diatribe that this thread seems to have been at least partially inspired by because all of this was discussed at length.

For example, I brought up the edge in cheating gambit repeatedly and accomplished nothing in doing so.

I think Scrapper and Hubbard’s other supporters here are all doing so in the good spirit of compassion that comes from all well meaning people. I just don’t think all of them are necessarily arguing effectively or willing to acknowledge that all of their arguments lack robust reasoning and evidence.

I think a lot of this falls under the category of moral panic in the face of real world consequence that exist outside of mere human emotion.

Hubbard is still a dude so they need to work harder.

Gender Bender Avengers

ASSEMBLE!

Not a bad article, but I do see some serious issues with his general analysis of testosterone, doping, steroids when it comes to sports and the bodies which govern them.

1. Comparing Body Building to an Olympic sport with regard to level and type of substance abuse , is just insane. Every BB’er is on juice, tons of juice. Some Olympic lifters might have been on some steroid at one time but they’re heavily tested for the substances that matter the most (ie anabolic steroids)

2. His mention of the Bulgarian Olympic team is completely misleading and erroneous. The Bulgarian team (entire team) was banned from the 2000 Sydney Olympics for a Diuretic. NOT Stanazol as he suggests. Again its a matter of fact that the Olympics test heavily for all substances. The Olympics also ban athletes all the time for things which may or may not really enhance any performance at all.

3. There’s still just as good of a chance Hubbard’s taking PED’s as any other Olympic athlete. (especially when you consider most PED’s aren’t based around Testosterone going by Olympic standards) bronchial oxygen absorption, amphetamines, diuretics, even some forms of pain releif. Also who is to say Hubbard isn’t hitting anabolics and then covering them up with some off setting substance to mask it? Should we assume Hubbard is MORE or LESS a morally sound person than other athletes?

Just a bonus - does anyone remember when the world gave Ben Johnson flak for failing drug test for Stanazol ? (Stanazol/Winstrol - the same substance the author suggests the Bulgarians were on) What they didn’t tell us was that America’s Carl Lewis, who got the big Win also failed for 6 different banned substances for that same event! Wow who’d of thunk it?

1 Like

your use of transfemale is very… strange compared to how we’ve discussed this before. Care to share your understanding of the distinction?

The two people I know that have transitioned refer to themselves as “trans” and “female” I used the term “Transfemale” to differentiate from a female that has gone through a transition to that classification as opposed to one that has not.

ok, cool. Sometimes even within the lgbt community some people make distinctions based on caveats and you’re probably the first person I’ve seen off reddit use the term.

1 Like

I have friends that are gay, lesbian, bi-sexual and trans and one thing I have learned is that despite the label they agree on very little between them and although the group? LGBTQ may be helpful in obtaining collective rights and respect it is certainly not unified with a shared belief beyond people should treat each other equally and with respect regardless of their gender/identity.

Although to be fair some of them hate some of the others so do not even share that belief.

Why is it that the majority of lesbians I know hate gay men ?

The gay men seam to be cool with the lesbians.

Some of both seam upset with my trans friends.

Its all a mess, at least among my friends.

Proof that no gender identity prevents one from being an arsehole to another group even if they are in your group kinda .

Homosexuality, the love that dare not speak it’s name

Lesbianism, the love that won’t shut the fuck up

2 Likes

We have a lessa friend who was shunned by the local lessa community for having a relationship with a trans man

It’s complicated

Yeah, the divide isn’t great, and certainly varies from age group to age group as well. Different things seem to be fought about internally by different age demographics on top of where you are letter wise.

They are definitely not homogenous communities.
In particular, the “trans community” are several very different communities, with very different characteristics.
For instance, in the U.S., the majority of all hate crimes committed against trans people are committed against black transgender people who are sex workers, in areas that also have high rates of drug trafficking.
The second largest segment of hate crimes against trans people are domestic violence, and a fair amount of them committed by other members of the LGBTQ community.
These are complex issues, and people have a tendency to dumb them down to the point of non-usefulness.

1 Like

The only trans female I knew hated gay men and crossdressers and the only trans male I knew hated gay men and people that didn’t know the word code. Me and the trans male guy worked out some together because he said he wanted to take advantage of having testosterone for the first time but that ended disastrously as he did not listen to anything I told him about excercise medicine and got angry when I tried to explain basic things like how starches are carbohydrates. Any mention of science, biology, medicine or any other technical word was resented.

It was so infuriating that they were so fucking ignorant about damn near everything and so fucking arrogant about the things they misunderstood I couldn’t stand to be in their presence for more than a few seconds and by the end of it they were accusing me of being a pushy agro-male. I had to look that shit up and threw in the towel.

Edit: It had nothing to do with their trans status but I can see how a sudden flood of testosterone may have altered their ability to relate to someone else and made them less receptive to learning.

Testosterone is a hell of a drug.

Edit2: You know what really bothers me though, for a minute it worked. There was camaraderie and the possibility for friendship. I treated him like one of the other dudes and everything was cool. Shame it didn’t work out.

These issues have almost became not worth it considering all the other problems we have.

I say it would be fair to have them compete one higher weight division up considering that they may have had a past advantage being a male, and we can be done with it.

1 Like

That is a simplistic approach. No offence intended.

One weight above?

What if it’s track and field? Ribbon dancing in gymnastics? Skating? Where is the division by weight?

Nice thought though. The not my/your problem because it doesn’t affect/effect me and the world has other more important problems.

Signal/noise?