TMA side kick too lethal for MMA!

The TMA side kick is too dangerous for MMA. It’s only suitable for the street.

https://youtu.be/7cDDPZodmyk

images

1 Like

I landed one of those once.

Back in my TKD days my instructor gave me the self-defense volume of Bruce Lee’s Fighting method. Theres a lot of sidekicks to the knee in that book.

I ended up sidestepping a not very nice guy in a parking lot and landing that kick which hurt him enough that I could get away.

I never used it against someone who actually knows how to fight, though. It’s pretty cool to see it in action in a high level competition context. I’m not enough of an expert to say whether or not it should be allowed in MMA, though.

2 Likes

Welcome stranger!

I am the resident inebriated redneck stoner. Yes, fighting people who don’t know how to fight is preferable in most situations.

May all of your nefarious foes be as silly.

Certainly not too deadly. MMA is dangerous work. I’d rather get swelling in the knee than swelling in the brain.

2 Likes

Valid point!

I don’t forsee myself fighting pros anytime soon (whether it be in a cage or a five-story pagoda) so I’ll take your word for it. If anything, I’ll use my deadly ninja manipulation skills to befriend people who are better at fighting than me over drinks.

Also, thanks for the warm welcome! I guess I’d be “resident weeb gal in tabi boots because the other local historical Japanese sword dojo closed down.”

2 Likes

I thought that was a highly contested position over here.

I once sidekicked the knee of one MMA dude who was kicking my ass. There was a loud crack that scared the crap out of everyone, but the guy turned out to be alright.

1 Like

Let’s just say it’s the only undisputed championship title I ever held. I know guys that can’t leave the house without smoking almost a gram of BHO but I don’t think they post here.

1 Like

Yes, I agree that side kicks are dangerous but not too deadly. I don’t think that it should be banned from MMA.

I was being sarcastic about it being too dangerous. People always make fun of TMA claims of being too dangerous for MMA. But, sometimes, TMA techniques get introduced into MMA and promptly get banned so… it’s almost like they are right in some respects. Almost.

There are mitigating circumstances though. And the TMAers miss this. Kung fu sifu isn’t john jones. His oblique kick isn’t the deadly offensive weapon he thinks it is.