The "Everybody is moving to Texas" Thread

Well, let’s inject some facts here.
Inconvenient as they may be.

1.) Not everybody is getting huge bills.

“The surge in pricing is hitting people who have chosen to pay wholesale prices for their power, which is typically cheaper than paying fixed rates during good weather, but can spike when there’s high demand for electricity. Many of those who have reported receiving large bills are customers of electricity provider Griddy, which only operates in Texas.”

So, it seems these folks put themselves in this situation by being cheap-assed MFs. In the first place.
"WHAT ARE WHOLESALE ELECTRICITY PRICES?

Wholesale electricity prices fluctuate based on demand. Because natural gas pipelines and wind turbines froze up in Texas, there was less power available, but high demand for electricity, causing wholesale prices to shoot up, said Joshua Rhodes, an energy research associate at the University of Texas.

Wholesale prices are typically as low as a couple of cents per kilowatt-hour but spiked to $9 per kilowatt-hour after the storm. Fixed rate customers pay a set amount that doesn’t rise as much. Typically, they pay around 12 cents per kilowatt-hour. But Rhodes said fixed rate customers could see their price rise by a few cents later this year as companies hit by the icy conditions look to recoup their costs — but their bills won’t be in the thousands.

People are able to pay wholesale prices in Texas because it’s one of the only states that lets people pick which company it buys power from, Rhodes said."

“Rhodes said bailing out customers may be a hard sell since they opted to pay wholesale prices and may have paid a much lower price than others for some time.”

1 Like

Deregulation is a double edged sword.

29,000 is still a lot of people who got screwed. It was nice of Griddy to warn them ahead of time…I wonder how many wizened up.

Either way, the infrastructure is just a mess down there. Estimates range upwards of over $200 and growing.

The kid dying from hypothermia his first time playing in the snow brokey heart. Cotton kills…

They didn’t get screwed…they made a choice to be cheap and got caught.

Wonder how much they saved over how long? Wonder what the differential really is. It is probably like a delayed bill, depending on how long they have been paying wholesale plus the 10 dollar access fee.

We’ll see, but I wouldn’t give energy companies the benefit of the doubt any day of the week, especially in a “Self regulated” environment.

I’m not giving anybody the benefit of the doubt, consumer or producer.

They are all greedy fucks.

1 Like

Consumers are always at the disadvantage.

Remember what ENRON did to California? I think this might be similar but intra-Texas-style.

I think that’s a pretty weak analogy, man.

Always? LOL…

Are they going to die if they can’t afford heating?

We have homeless people building bonfires in underpasses. And, it’s not even cold, anymore. We were mid 80’s (near 30C to you sciency types) much of last week.

People died because there was no electricity.

Or very little.

1 Like

This happens all the time, in cities of every country, all over the globe. So, why is Texas so important?

Because AOC biotch slapped Cruz’s nutsack to the tune of several million dollars?

Out of the kindness of her heart.

It’s a pretty strong analogy, actually.

I was once given authorization to raid an entire energy trading floor right after ENRON. The company was in Cincinnati, I won’t name it but if your Google Fu is strong you can probably divine the details, given your hunter’s knack.

We celebrated later over a very fine Shiraz.

Yawn, more all about you, yet again.

Yada yada yada.

I am glad you are feeling better, though.

Texas AG on the job after the fact, LOL.

1 Like

Bullshido is loaded with selfies of you and your kids. Wasn’t that all about you? Give me a break.

I get that you’re better equipped for the average Polar Vortex than most, but aren’t you coming across as a little unsympathetic right now? Some people in Texas still can’t access fresh water, let alone high amperage current.

Caveat emptor?

I’m sharing my life with friends, dude.

Context matters.

Feel free to do the same.

1 Like

Do tell. Look ma, official numbers.
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/excesswintermortalityinenglandandwales/2019to2020provisionaland2018to2019final

Stay warm, @doofaloofa

It felt really good to raid that floor of energy traders.

You think venison is sweet?