TaeKwonDo side kick made great again (MTKDGA)

So you were in a very small pond, which is a huge issue in combat sports training. I taught Judo in a very rural, isolated area of Canada, so I am very familiar with the problem.

And sparring from the very beginning is not necesssarily the best idea in the world, despite what some folks here may write or think. Sparring covers a lot of ground. It’s the same problem in Judo.

Early full on sparring (randori in Judo), tends to sort folks out into the more aggressive, and/or athletic or both (they are interacting variable), and that can tend to do two things: Encourage bad habit among the more athletic/aggressive, and discourage the less so from participating.

I get so sick of watching noobs (and not so noobs) posting video of themselves in judo comps, and watching them make so many fundamental mistakes and think they are doing well because they throw some guy and win a match or three, or worse, win a medal in a noob level division via aggression/physical domination.

Don’t get me wrong, aggression and phyusical domination in a combat sport is part of the deal, however, at noob level, it can mess people up badly if not managed carefully.

It had it’s pros and cons.

I faced two big guys, one was a gym guy, the other had some form of boxing background.

The gym guy telegraphed so heavily he couldn’t touch me. Never did. Even when we arranged sparring after class.

The boxer could touch my guard, and it was so heavy relative to my bodysize that it forced me back.

So I learned how to deal with big guys. Fight on the outside. Don’t even block. Circle.

The gym guy said I can’t hurt him. Then we tried and he felt I went over the line. I just flicked a jab in his face

I am going to sign up to a sport institute and have them measure this punch.

I only weigh 171 pounds. Let’s see if I can hit like the big boys…

I don’t know much at all about punching, someone else will have to comment on the video.

It doesn’t matter how hard you can hit a bag if you’re dropping your hands when you punch.

I was going to write that it’s a shame you never saw me hit during my low point.

I have low point today. So the old power is back!!!

I am not kidding guys. When I get angry anf depressed my power tripples. More adrenaline…

PCP does that for me.

The 80s martial arts tropes called. They want their everything back.

1 Like

I’m curious to hear your views on this being a judoka… If someone asks me which MA to pick for self defence I would say Judo.

Do you agree or does it break down outside its sport more than people think?

I place judo below boxing for mma/no gi. But streets…judo all the way

The problem is you have to be good at Judo to use it effectively for self defense.

Judo does not incorporate striking, so, by itself is incomplete for self defense, or fighting.

Judo and Boxing, or Judo and MT. Even Judo and TKD (I used to train with a guy who was a black belt in TKD and eventually got a black belt in Judo, and BJJ after that.

He was an older school TKD guy though…

Judo and Kyokushin would work, too.

I have a pretty good idea how to deal with it in the clinch even if the guy is good at it. It involves misdirection/jerkyness. Enough to not get into their world

But if I average it out between the population and the fact that most people walk around with jackets…gotta put Judo up there.

Judo attributes are closer to Karate/TKd than boxing imo.

Boxers attribute is traditionally viewed to go along better with wrestling, although style of the boxer plays a part.

But generally speaking it would make sense for the strength based arts to fit with each other best, and the balance one.

Boxing and wrestling are strength centric. If an athlete is very physically strong, there is a high chance boxing and wrestling has something in store for him. If he’s not strength based, he better have one hell of a footwork.

Everything on the surface layer of boxing is technique and rotation, but at its core…strength is very important.

Strength in boxing determines how hard you can jab, how hard you punch in general. How hard you can resist.

Strength in wrestling is huge everywhere. You are moving around human bodies.

Not sure what you mean, really. A reasonably skilled judoka will take you down so fast you won’t know what happened, jacket or not.

1 Like

I’m guessing you are trolling, because that’s an old trope you just pulled.

Strength is important in any combat sport, in most if not all sports, really. There is general strength, then sport-specific strength.

2 Likes

You just said they need to learn how to strike. But me they take down? Make up your mind.

Travis stevens said strong hobbyist wrestlers are tougher to take down than other judokas, cause they don’t move the same way other judokas will.

I was a strong hobbyist wrestler. I do not move or are in any way influenced by their sport.

Not true and something I learned very quickly when cross training boxing. My strength advantages in TaeKwonDo were irrelevant cause of the pace of the sparring and the need for high flexibility.

I obviously did not need the same type of flexibility for boxing so my strength attribute could shine right away.

As for judo vs wrestling. No myth. I know wrestlers who entered judo tournaments as side activity.

I quote: “judokas are much weaker physically than wrestlers”. I don’t remember how he placed

No, really, judoka need to learn how to cover themselves from being struck, and work on entering versus striking. I think very basic striking would be sufficient. If you are a grappler primarily, you want to not get punched/kicked enough to stop you from applying what you are best at.

It would be a fairly long process. I’ve trained in striking, a long time ago, and it took a while to build up the reflexes for dodging/blocking kicks and punches. Once I started to get that, the openings for grappling entries became more apparent.

I was already a black belt in Judo at that point, so the throwing part was easy, as the strikers had essentially zero grappling defense.

Sure, on Travis, I would not disagree in terms of just trying to take them down in an open ruleset. I’ve done Judo with wrestlers who had no judo, and the good ones are harder to take down, for sure.

BTW, I’ve met Travis and been to an extensive coaching clinic he gave…

Cool story, bro, on the wrestling vs judoka strength thing. It all depends on the level of event one enters, etc. 1 anecdote does not make for universal truth.

High level judoka vs high level wrestlers? Strength levels will be very comparable.

Hell, within judoka, even recreational ones, there is often a large level of strength difference.

More variable than just wrestler or judoka.

I used to compete against wrestlers who entered judo tournaments, often with little training in Judo. And that was back when you could still do hand to leg attacks in Judo, without restriction.

So I have real life experience with that. I never lost a match to any of those guys, because, it was a judo tournament. If it was a wrestling match, under wrestling rules, I’d have had a much harder time of it, for sure. Those guys were tough, and knew how to grapple, obviously. Dangerous opponents, for sure.

It wasn’t a matter of how strong they were, really.

Ah, right, sure you were…

@BKR You know what forget it. I thought you put the cyber demeaning on hold. But back to dick mode it is.

You are basically making troll posts using old, old, tropes about wrestlers and strength, etc.

Don’t play victim on me. I responded quite informatively to your questions, and called out on stuff I do not think you really know anything about.

You would not have survived the old fashioned bullshido for long.

1 Like