Parler being censored

Can you not still access Parler through a web browser on an iPhone or Android device?

That is a good question that I would have to check out. I haven’t actually tried because I don’t want internet cooties.

The answer is yes, for now. But Amazon is about to yank their backend.

They don’t have their own servers?

Apparently not. It is very common to farm out the backend for web services.

1 Like

Well sucks to be them.

What about preventing advertising from making false claims?

Censorship differs from advertising standards because censorship polices ideas and beliefs whereas advertising standards police technical standards and can be measured

Well, again going back to previous points. Amazon is a private company offering hosting as a service. If they don’t want to provide service to Parler, that’s within their purview.

Parler can purchase and maintain their own web servers if they so choose or find another vendor.

1 Like

Yup. I agree with that. You want to host the revolution you probably ought to invest in your own servers.

1 Like

Implementing a backend for a client base the size of Parler is as we say in the biz, a non-trivial task.

I know of Synagogues and Jewish groups on a shoestring budget that put their own servers up for, well considerably fewer, own users.

I don’t know what Parler’s budget is/was and don’t really care. If they couldn’t invest in their own servers at the very least they should have invested in market research and lawyers to write contracts that wouldn’t allow this to happen.

Honestly this doesn’t bother me in the slightest.

1 Like

I’m not sure why people are lauding this as some form of victory because it really isn’t.

Censoring (ie suppressing and ideally silencing speech, communication and information) your opponents doesn’t mean they’ll go away, it means they’ll use different means of communication and will now be harder to observe. Also their fears of persecution have been legitimised (in their eyes) by having their main means of communication and even community cut, thus driving them further away from any form of discussion and further down the political spectrum.

It may give some people a warm and fuzzy feeling to see their opponents effectively silenced but all it’s doing is creating an echo chamber. It’s akin to sticking your head in the sand.

2 Likes

Are the service providers taking the step for ideological reasons or financial ones?

Yah I mean, they should just write a book about how oppressed their speech is becoming.

Or maybe go on fox news to whine about it.

Or write a Newsmax op Ed.

The censorship has to end!!!

Think of the echo chamber it might create… !!

They move to a different, open to the public service. How will we know what going on in there. Other than it being open to the public of course.

Most likely ideological. Silicon Valley has always been left-leaning and it made no such moves to censor Facebook or twitter despite the platforms being used for various kinds of violent incitement for years.

If anything google and Apple would probably lose revenue from banning the app.

Big Companies make decisions they think will make them money.

If you think they have ideologies that extend beyond this simplicity. You have fallen for their marketing.

2 Likes

Personaly I find censorship for financial reasons more palatable than for ideological ones

3 Likes

Why do you think Tesla’s stock is worth more than all major oil companies combined.

There selling positive emotions, not just mediocre electric cars and batteries.

Most people don’t think Exxon and get chubby. Unless it’s a politician and the oil lobby is knocking on their door.

I’m not sure if you’re joking or a actually struggling with the idea that censorship in this case is a bad idea.