Panantukan Filipino boxing

It is a subset of Kali. Kickboxing has elbow, kicking, etc depending on the rule set. You’ll find few kickboxers are as adept at boxing as are straight out boxers at a higher level.

2 Likes

I lived 3 years in the Philippines ( as a civilian ), and with most FMA’s , good luck actually finding someone in the Philippines who knows anything about this stuff. ( at least in the early 80’s when I was there). I taught boxing and had a small gym in Quezon City.
This is just my opinion, but when I was there, it was so poor that anyone with true boxing skills / fighter attitude wouldn’t have wasted it on teaching for $10-$20/month ( maybe getting $1 per student, if they were lucky ), they would have attempted to be a pro boxer and try to feed their family.
Almost any pro boxer can be a “dirty” fighter if they want to be…usually “styles” like this are just another gimmick. When I was in the Philippines I met Dodie Peñalosa ( world champion
professional )…Very impressive man with a lot of heart ! Great counter-puncher out of necessity, he couldn’t move very much because of polio when he was younger…first learn what he knows, real boxing and you won’t worry about “Panatukan”

1 Like

“Dirty boxing”. Most people think it’s because they add elbows, cheap shots and nasty limb manipulations. But really it’s because there are many chickens in the PI and it’s just dirty when you’re boxing.
As for efficacy hitting people repeatedly in the head usually works pretty good so it’s allright in that regard.

Hi, are you the guy who once wrote a book about knife use in Prison?

No but I do own a copy of this that I found at a garage sale back in the dark ages. (I payed 75 cents. Would not pay $75)

It’s not all about you Stryker!

Holly shit. I just noticed the different color on Dan’s “D” icon.

THE Dan Pentacost is a member here? That’s too much!

I follow you on Amazon for updates on the new release of “Put em Down.” It says Feb 2022 release. Any idea on when it will be out?

Thanks