My big fat fucking BJJ thread

Automatic 3 - Way for the win!

Size, and strength matter, particularly with the person has some technical ability.
However, most blue belts in Gracie and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu should be able to beat you, if you are new, and they are real blue belts.
Unless, they are old, badly injured, or unless you came into the room with a serious grappling background from other grappling sports.

1 Like

Or just roll with punches.

I think Macau or somewhere vague is the only place that actually does it.

I had half a look at trying to actually do it. Like being a noble in Scotland.

Guam apparently.

It depends what you are doing. So in the scramble mabye go a bit easy. During submissions of course. Mabye steer away from subs where you are just pulling the other guys head off. Cos quite often people don’t think to tap. Stay away from stacking guys with too much force.

But say you want to bench press a guy off you or do the hey I am strong, sweep you from anywhere. Then you could go for that.

And slow down. So you are not doing some massive body weight move and happen to get a thimb or wrist or knee caught up.

One thing I am doing that I am kind of chuffed about is instead of doing run through double legs. I am just gable gripping under their arse and then squeezing their legs together.

And I did that for noobs who were not confident getting thrown. But it is helping me resolve a bunch of issues with my double leg like ducking my head and not penetrating enough.

1 Like

You’d suit a kilt

1 Like

You have not been around much then in terms of combat sports/martial arts, then, right?

1 Like

Sort of. The issue is if you compete. While you might have gone through life being bigger or stronger. And succeeding a lot because of it. Suddenly everyone is big and strong. And if you haven’t spent the time learning to be good rather than winning. You get smeshed.

1 Like

It seems doubtful that this individual trains at an actual Gracie Jiu-Jitsu, or BJJ, or Submission Wrestling school.
If he thinks that doing squats is more important than technical training, and grappling experience, when it comes to grappling activities.
Squats would be more important to doing squats.

You seem to have an issue with people “thinking they are shit”.

I can guarantee you, there are a LOT of BJJ guys who can handle a guy who spends a lot of time on the squat rack, and has your level of experience.

No doubt, there are a also a lot of BJJ guys who are not “all that”.

You have to understand, higher level people don’t usually beat up on lower level students. It’s bad form.

In any case, keep an open mind and try to learn to apply your strength efficiently.

2 Likes

Doing squats AND good technical training is a decent combination.

However, just being strong only gets you so far.

Not very far against a decently trained BJJ ist, or even judoka for that matter. Or boxer, or wrestler…

2 Likes

Ok. To explain there is more nuance than that. Here is lachlan guiles murdering every one in the room.

2 Likes

Is that really true when muscle and strength greatly outweigh? I’m sure what you said is true for a blue vs me at similar weight and muscle mass, and not so much at a big advantage let’s say 50 lbs. At some point isn’t technique going to matter a lot less? Fuck I can tire out some of these blue belts just deadening my weight when they try to bust moves, they’re trying to flip me over and gassing out after a while. And I’m not even stalling. It’s not their skill level failing them, it’s their endurance.

I know these people have put a lot of time and effort in to get those colors. But at the same time the belts don’t tell the whole story. Such as, which blue belts do 100 pushups a day, and which black belts don’t do shit but go to a lot of classes, go home and suck down some bourbon.

For numbers, I bench 300 and squat almost 400. I’m no gym novice. And a lot (not all) of the people I see in BJJ don’t seem to do any cross training. The ones that do are a totally different experience during open mat. Like an actual challenge. The rest are all flexible and fast and stuff but just doesnt feel the same.

It depends a bit on what you are doing to what they are doing.

It is much easier to move a solid object off you than a fluid one. Even a strong solid object.

So if you are on top and clamping down. You are kind of wasting your energy and making it easier for them.

If you are underneath and doing it. Then they just sit there an it is the same deal. (For jits this can be a bit tricky for mma you just get slapped around from there.)

If you are constantly moving to counter their shifts of weight it is very easy for you and very hard for them. So you sort of become this big bag of fluid crap on top of a guy. And so for example me being an old fat man can gas out athletes by doing that. Especially if they are wasting energy doing the wrong thing.

One of the interesting things about BJJ is you can get turned around at any time. So you might be a blue belt and get subbed by athletic trial class guy. Or you might be athletic guy and get subbed by that skinny hipster. And each time you learn a bit more about yourself. And how your martial arts works.

1 Like

They are superior to you in terms of their skill at BJJ.

So, my experience in Judo, with beginners competing, is that the better athletes/stronger people usually win those matches. Matches between people relatively equal skill and experience level.

How much anybody talks shit doesn’t really matter.

OK. Well, you seem very focused on who can beat who, in training. Even rolling in training. That’s won’t get you very far. If you want to get better at BJJ, you are going to have to focus on your own technical training. If you have such a large strength/endurance advantage, that’s fine, you can train more and longer. If you learn how to efficiently apply your strength and endurance, you will be all the better at BJJ.

What other people are doing doesn’t really matter. If they are guys who just come to BJJ to learn something and have fun, more or less, they aren’t going to be doing a lot of outside conditioning work, etc. That is what more competition oriented people do in BJJ (or Judo, or Sambo, etc).

1 Like

Depending on your body weight, that might be fairly impressive. In any case, IME, most people in BJJ or Judo don’t do a lot of cross training. They are there for different reasons. Competitive people (who compete) MAY go to mor effort.

I competed seriously in Judo, for example. But until I started lifting and doing cardio, and really putting effort into the training (technical), I gassed out and sucked, wasn’t strong enough, etc.

1 Like

Most everyone I know kinda finds me boring in general so there is no specific difference for martial arts chat.

That’s what I was getting at. I’m noticing a serious endurance difference in sparring partners. Even some of the advanced belts seem to have limitations I wasn’t expecting to hit. Like why couldnt I sweep them the first couple of minutes but suddenly at minute 3, wham. I know I didn’t grow skill suddenly, so my only thought is that the skill of some of these long timers is one dimensional. Time on mat doesn’t seem to equate to overall skill, just knowledge. The real skill comes with physical development. You could spend 6-7 days a week on the mats, you’re not gonna be as good as someone who splits that time up with routine interval cardio, bodyweight training, resistance bands, the whole nine. Everyone gasses out at some point, and that point seems to less tied to how much you know, and more to how much you can swallow.

Maybe this is part of why I can’t stand martial artist types. They’re mostly scrawny pink little shits who put on a fancy jacket and belt and suddenly think theyre an Avenger. Same idiots who take selfies every class like it’s fucking Palm Springs and they’re on the beach. Someone told me “BJJ is a lifestyle!” and I threw up in my mouth. God I fucking hope I never think that way.