Let's Discuss Intelligence

It’s depressing

Parents are in there somewhere, hopefully.

What utter bullshit.

1 Like

Homeschooling: Nothing better for indoctrination in whatever parents desire.

Hopefully .

So, you are really good at paintings portraits

Does that set of skills help run a business?

Intelligence is a funny thing. Our mind evolved to have the capacity to model facets of the world around us. The more intelligent we are, the more accurate those models become and the more models we can hold in our mind simultaneously.

Paradoxically, more information stored in our mind increases the occurence of mistakes in our understanding.

If those patterns of errors become strong enough, we move from being just factually wrong to being delusional.

Or so the academic thinking goes.

I think that’s good for explaning a lot of problems in human intelliigence but there’s another side to intelligence that is much more deceptive.

People love delusions. They love to be wrong about facts that make their lives more difficult because it provides them with an excuse to do the bad things that make them happy.

Our ability to model the world around us provides us with ways to make ourselves happy and profit from things without actually getting anything tangible.

For example:

I had a dream last night where I played poker against the devil for a bottle of tequila. If I lost I had to blow him and he’d throw in the tequila for free. Horrible dream. Just complete terror. Halfway through the bottle and I still couldn’t get the taste out of my mouth.

Humor is imaginary but we still profit from it. It makes us happy.

Some of us can get all the enjoyment we need out of life just from our own imagination. It’s a wonderful thing. The more we rely on the world around us to provide comforts, the more comfortable we physically become but that becomes dangerous after a point where we begin manipulating the world around us to the detriment of the people around us.

If we engage in fair dealing, we have to give something up to get something that we want.

The more complex the model of transaction we use to get stuff from other people, the easier it is to leverage greater benefits from others by introducing avenues for mistakes made by the people we are trading with.

If we view that as an unfortunate cost of doing business while trying to reduce misunderstading, we produce greater stability and we get to keep our soul a little longer.

If we view that as a profit opportunity trading on these mistakes intentionally, then the system becomes less safe for all transactions collectively.

If a series of mistakes is a delusion, then the worst delusions are the ones that come with a profit incentive. Not only does it train us to think in foolish ways, but the delusion itself becomes self sustaining like cancer.

Don’t know, why not both? Or some blend of the two?

I guess we should expect absolutism from a monarchist.

1 Like

My point is, being good at painting does not help your business admin skills

Being creative can

Being creative can also compliment your painting skills

It’s not a binary choice between the two

You seem to be talking about creativity as if it is a transdiscipline metaskill.

If so, this may ignore a counter possibility, that creativity in one medium, or set of mediums, or domain, or environment, may not mean that one is creative in other mediums, or sets of mediums, or domains.

Term Life insurance was a creative and disruptive innovation over whole life insurance.

CDO’s were and are a creative innovation regarding leverage and derivative investments (that tend to cause market bubbles, and have the potential for horrible market crashes that may affect whole economies, but still, a creative innovation).

Hell, stock and commodity exchanges were and are creative innovations, over private transactions.

The three examples I just listed had the common traits of being related to the financial markets, and that they were functionally creative, not necessary visually creative, nor auditorily creative.

In order to really understand the creativity of each of them, some baseline understanding and ability with arithmetic, exponents, and, compounding is required.

In other domains, functional understanding of one’s medium may be required (colors, lines, paint mixtures, instruments, musical harmony, etc).

Put simply, one may be creative to the level of astounding virtuosity in one medium, or domain, and tone deaf, or blind, or helpless, in another, when it comes to creativity.

Put another way, creativity, may just be the ability to be usefully or novelly unorthodox, or innovative, in specific domains, but certainly or at least probably not all domains.

That is my opinion

A creative person can apply creativity to any given situation

Perhaps they are trained to only apply it to a specific medium, maybe not

Maybe the creative outcome is not as successful as one based on an established technique

Yours is the popular, or fashionable, opinion.
In practice, seems ridiculous.
A boxer, with zero boxing expertise, is not creative, when they punch in a wild and ineffective manner.
A trained expert in boxing, may break the rules, in an informed manner, and fight in an unorthodox manner that denies his or her opponent the model their own model needs to pay off.
And it is the same with most disciplines.
Creativity does not tend to be a transferrable meta discipline in practice.
Even within the same discipline, we see one hit wonders all the time, where the unorthodox hit, is never repeated by the author of it.

I disagree

However a creative solution does not guarantee a successful outcome, but innovation is usually due to a creative interpretation

That’s not a point at all. It makes no sense.

It makes perfect sense

Asimov wrote an article a long while back about IQ tests and his distrust of the whole intelligence measurement thing. He was known as a multi-disciplinary genius but was very distrustful of rigid academia and arbitrary measurement standards.

1 Like

As a personal comment regarding talent, martial arts are perhaps the thing I did at which I had the least talent yet was the one to which I devoted over my life more time and effort and which perhaps gave me the most consistent satisfaction, asides from reading in general.

Aside from being ok enough at math and science to study and work for a living in engineering I am also sort of naturally talented at drawing since very young, and people actually pay me for doing artwork despite my never having had any formal instruction aside from engineering draftsmanship courses, but I spent years and years without actually drawing that much at all. People also pay me for writing stories and say I am good at it but I distrust the particular audience and I also gave that up for years. I spent years doing theater, acting and directing, and was fairly well regarded locally, but rather walked away from it many years ago after repeated conflict with the people in charge over here and ended up giving up any involvement with it.

In martial arts however I sucked consistently over the years. I managed to train with some of the local high-level people, but always as the suckiest of the group, and trying to be anywhere near those levels left me near-crippled by the time I reached my 40s. At my 50s I function worse than many people two decades older, but… I still love martial arts and still attempt to practice them in whatever fashion I can still manage. The only time that I left my MA practice seriously lapse because of a troublesome marriage situation is what I identify as the worst period in my life and which I target as “the moment I went wrong”.

So sometimes it is not about having talent, but doing what you really love, no matter how much you suck.

I think the intelligence in that is however debatable.

There’s a lot of different ways of measuring IQ and it’s been heavily criticized in general especially when comparing them to different countries. A test made by English speaking countries and modified by English speaking countries have can’t factor in for all the cultural factors.

When it boils down to it, the logic that comes out of someone’s mouth is a lot better indicator than a test. In aerobic sports V02 is suppose to be a huge indicator of someone’s performance, but it doesn’t matter if you’re winning the race.

In short: don’t waste your time.

For my money, the word intelligence is misleading.

It gives the impression that it’s just one thing when it is a product of several things that are not easily testable with word problems, number games and puzzles.

Furthermore, things like sleep disorders can lower scores on tests involving memorization so kids that don’t sleep well at night or have an unstable home life are inherently at a disadvantage even though they migh otherwise be the smartest kid in their class.

We’ve all known a kid that could spank the doors off a standardized test but failed every single class. A smart kid that dropped out because the school environment made them unwelcomed. What’s smart? It certainly isn’t just memorizing things but that has something to do with it. If they can do well in school but fall for every con that gets in front of a person, can we really call them smart?

1 Like

Usually it’s the opposite. Kids who are good at standardized tests usually pass every single class.

Kids who suck at them fail or do a LOT worse.

Because standardized tests…