July is officially Rizin month

Come on, you are supposed to get all butt-hurt and offended at my horribly insulting and demeaning post.

I canā€™t help it. I miss him so.

Aikido, to me, has something to offer in the way of thinking about Jujitsu from a different angle and as long as you incorporate the skills you learned in striking arts like karate can help apply some the fundamentals of judo and jujitsu at a greater range but paying any attention to the unnecessary dogma of aikido will just get you hurt.

You, like, Wabbit, should just STFU.
This time, anyway.

1 Like

Bullshido is a site that is aware of the difference between a martial art that has sparring and competition and those that donā€™t. This difference exist between the Tomiki style and other Aikido styles that donā€™t spar or compoete. I have my reasons but Iā€™m not discussing my martial art experience. At least not for now.

Thatā€™s fair. Iā€™m basically just a tourist compared to at least half of you guys.

So, nothing then.

Your use of ā€œmartial artā€ is telling, for sure.

So, where did Tomiki learn his useless aikido from? If Aikido is no good, why did Tomiki bother?

This is all old ground to cover, I look forward to your insights.

Please share!

Look, itā€™s OK to say shit. Just donā€™t be surprised if I call it shit. That doesnā€™t mean I or anybody else here with way more combat sport/martial art experience is always correct.

No offense offered, none taken.

I didnā€™t. While Iā€™ve taken some good things from Aikido, itā€™s limited within the training methodology. This is an area wherein Tomiki made good.

Iā€™d say footwork and recognizing body rise and drop were what Iā€™ve gleaned most from Aikido. Just another set of tools for the toolbox.

1 Like

Itā€™s not as useful as it can be thatā€™s why he made changes. Iā€™ll go into more detail later when I make another thread.

Spoken like a true grown-up, adult man.

Pay attention, children.

Have you never watched that Tomiki Aikido sparring?

1 Like

what donā€™t you like about it?

Tomiki had to have it, because university facilities were allocated in preference to competitive sportive activities, rather than passive activities.
Every hand to hand Aikido technique is legal in BJJ grappling competition.
So, if one wants to compete using Aikido, without striking, there is the Aikido competition venue.
And if you want to compete using Aikido techniques, that is the place to do it.
It is true, that many other techniques are also legal in that venue.
But that is part of the fun.
Iā€™ll admit, the guard pulling, is rather disgusting, but even so.

1 Like

The part of about the BJJ competition is mostly true. There are 3 techniques out of the 17 that you canā€™t use in BJJ. I showed this BJJ purple belt an Aikido technique and he asked me if it was an old school Japanese ju jutsu move.

Which three?
Hopefully you are not including Shomenate, because most BJJ rulesets allow the throw version, if it is not obviously strikey.

1 Like

Are you serious? I didnā€™t know that. What do you mean by too strikey? The other two I was going to mention were aigamae-ate and gyaku-gamae-ate.

Shomenate is a valid technique if pulled off properly. Control the head, control the body. If failed, itā€™s still a good setup.

Granted, Iā€™m a head hunter.

2 Likes

I donā€™t reckon those two are illegal either, in most BJJ rulesets, so long as one is pushing the head/face, in a throwing motion, as opposed to a clear strike where the concussive impact in a striking manner, is the star of the show.
In other news, Mark Schultz made a wrestling career, out of clubbing his opponents head and neck region, just shy of getting called for striking.
There are levels to this.

2 Likes

And I would add, most BJJ rulesets and referees will give you some penalties for questionable infringements, before handing out a DQ.