Gracie University becomes certified by The CA Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training

Don’t even try with bath salts. You need a giant net and weaponized tranquilizers.

(edit for thumbnail)
f55c86ea75e4c7cdfdcc4832188b2fbe

1 Like

I personally know of cases of guys warped up on crank that big, tough, experienced cops had great difficulty in safely controlling. As in trying to get cuffs onto.

It’s not a trivial matter. When a MF is ignoring drive stuns from a TASER, he’s on another plane of existence.

2 Likes

Not too long ago at a local institution, an inmate ingested some spice and then flipped out. He climbed over the rail of the top tier and jumped off landing on his feet. He shattered his ankles and broke both of his femurs. Then ran around the day room for about 30 minutes until he was finally restrained.

1 Like

Yep, head on in there and apply a wristlock to that guy, STAT.

1 Like

I had a guy who was in leg irons and belly chains, and was still high on apparently both meth and heroin. Right, that’s a thing.

Took two of us to hold him down, I shit you not. The other guy is a BIG dude, too.

If he’d have been unchained, I’d have had to have choked him out or shot him.

1 Like

Do to some problems in the past(lack of training related(?)) with strangles are they not allowed in most departments/agencies?

Yes. Police in most civilized nations are never, ever allowed to strangle anyone.

I’m sure exceptions exist. Somalia, Bosnia-Croatia, and certain bedrooms.

1 Like

This is part of the point. RNC is not the same thing as choking the life out of somebody. Fucking youtube.

1 Like

I am pretty sure we are just witnessing Gene Lebell murder a whole bunch of people here:

2 Likes

Yeah, not only are they not allowed, they are not taught. Everything is position control to move to cuff someone. There are striking techniques, but they are just to defend yourself. Then you move into restraining techniques.

Everyone should try being put to sleep via vasovagal syncope at least once in their short lives.

Those of us who have felt this a thousand times know.

This has been an interesting discussion with people who have a bit more experience in actual use of combatives, Matt Larsen, John Valentine and a few others. Most are fairly unimpressed with how this works as, by and large, it was done without any input from people on the sharp end of things. Primarily they are taking a program that was developed(not by them) for the military and trying to give it to peace officers. Without accounting for overall training time(post course), and a number of other things. I’ll try to dig up Matt Larsen’s lengthy response to me on this as to why he thinks its problematic.

Second, if you follow Josh Hinger’s insta and saw the cringy photo of Israel Adesnya pointing a loaded M4, safety off, finger on the trigger at his chest head, you would know this isn’t just the Gracies. A lot of BJJ gyms in California are able to train police now. Said photo simply demonstrates how unprepared they are to do that. But don’t worry the SWAT guys were right there to make sure nothing went wrong…

EDIT: Yes I know that you can drop the bolt and “clear” the rifle and the selector won’t go back to safe, but a live fire mag is still a bad look. They make blue dummy ones for a good reason(blue(or red) guns for the same reason).

1 Like

We’ve been unofficially using it for several years. But I’m still concerned that some holds could be misconstrued in court.

Like a seatbelt head and arm from the rear…

CHOKEHOLD!

1 Like

The big advantage with BJJ is you are more likely to find an instructor who has a vague clue as to what he is on about.

And there is a fairly consistent theme to the training.

So you can pack up move to another place go to a BJJ school and you are still doing Basically the same thing.

Now you could do basically MMA without striking and it would be better. But it would harder to get the consistency.

Otherwise industry trainers have traditionally taught junk that has gotten people hurt so fuck those guys. If they haven’t stepped up they deserve what they get.

Yeah. The order of priorities change a bit as well. Especially for me as I used to bounce so for example I am not taking people to the ground but trying to control then standing.

But you can get away with two or three submissions and leave the more dubious ones for other occasions.

Which is also how BJJ for MMA kind of works.