Ecological Dynamics - The New Scientific Method Of Coaching Touches Grappling

Ramsey’s videos are worth watching over and over.

He and I had a conversation the other day, I had to explain to him what a “wind up artist” was.

I like the link DCS provided.

Personally I would start at Rob Gray’s book, How We Learn To Move. It gives you an understanding of the theoretical and historical underpinning of the method which I genuinely believe is why I am able to design my practices in such an effective manner.

From there you could read his second book, Learning To Optimize Movement. In the future I am considering making it a requirement that my Blue Belt students have read both books in order to progress.

Both are available on Audible and are definitely for the layperson. Rob Gray reads them too, he has an annoying voice that is weirdly perfect for the source material.

Then I would recommend the Constraints Led Approach: Principles for Sports Coaching and Practice Design. This is a college/uni textbook and is somewhat dense, especially if you’re not an academic, but with the layman’s understanding that is brought with having read Rob Gray’s stuff, is only a slog as far as having to deal with language academia.

I did a podcast with one of the authors of that book, Professor Ian Renshaw:

In my opinion, submission grappling is the most difficult sport to implement this strategy on for a variety of reasons, but that is also why it is yielding such great results.

2 Likes

Seconded. I’ve read it and it is a good starting point.

There’s also another book by Rob Gray in the oven: Learning To Be an “Ecological” Coach: Developing Attuned & Adaptable Coaching Skills

To be published next September, it can be pre-ordered since a couple days ago at the South American rainforest named website.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up.

You seem to have experience with it, how are you finding it?

Well, it’s a lot of hard work for the coach, way more than the usual warmup - technique of the day/week demo - drill - roll.

I think ED/CLA is not much more effective than the traditional way for developing BJJ skills (I mean, both systems work) but more time efficient and fun. People are doing actual BJJ, against live resistance, almost the entire training session.

This is a small, potato quality, clip I recorded yesterday at the Intro to BJJ class. Guys you can see in the background are in their first month of BJJ and they don’t have previous experience in grappling systems.

They’re playing a “game”: Top guy task has to stand up and break the closed guard, bottom guy task consist in not allowing top guy achieve standing position, no submissions allowed for bottom guy other than collar chokes. They still move like pregnant yaks but they’re working live, not doing static drills or kata.

Meanwhile, I’m explaining to guys in their 2nd BJJ class the rules/constraints for the game and how closed guard and mount are conceptually the same shit.

1 Like

100% waaaaaaaay more work for the coach. This is actually appealing to me though.

I have been in classes with a disengaged coach that is little more than a time keeper, sitting in his corner on the phone, answering genuine questions with bullshit like, “just don’t get there”.

I love that it takes me a long time to develop these games, as it has forced me to use imagery more and more, which in turn is helping me deepen my understanding.

1 Like

I received a comment on one of my videos from a dude who said he’d been implementing ED/CLA for 5 years, so I asked him if he would want to do a podcast with me. Obviously someone doing it for that long would have mad insights, as that is the longest I’ve heard of anyone in the space doing ED/CLA at this point.

I gave him a method of contact me and in my inbox pops up a message that I realise is Scott Sievewright of the Primal MMA Podcast:

He gives me mad props for having done the chat with Ian Renshaw and Michael Maloney, as in his words they are “giants in the skill acq[uisition] space”, and we go on to have a late night (for me), early morning (for him) chat about ED/CLA.

I’m fucking stoked, particularly as I have been sharing Scott’s take on ED/CLA, even early on in this thread, since I first started looking into the space.

Check it out, like, comment, subscribe:

Will be looking to have a chat with DCS in the near future, too! Just working out timing, etc.

1 Like

I’m working on my 'Strayan.

1 Like

Most important word: “schlanga”.

I’m Ocker as they come. Never used Schlanga in my life and have no idea to what you’re referring

It’s German-Austrailian slang for penis (ie snake).

I spelled it wrong. It’s schlange.

Oh, SCHLONG.

Lol - yeah, great word. Might be spelt the other way, but I spell it how it sounds.

Fun fact, I was briefly the singer for a punk band called 12INSCHLONG.

1 Like

That’s the one.

Wow, long time no see! Good to see you back!

Hi Bentley. How it is going in potatoland?

Still plenty of potatoes! Still working, not training other than non-combat sports stuff. Body has had enough pounding.

What’s up in paradise?

Fury road.

Something 12

They threw some cool slang in there.

1 Like

They sure did.

As Bullshido’s resident Mad Max expert, all I can say is

Schlange. Just felt an Aftershock. 2-3.0. 1800 EDT, 0900 Aussie time.

Somewhere, a plane engine falls from the sky. Ha ha ha.

1 Like

Things are going well enough.

Planting potatoes next weekend probably, coaching BJJ with some very occassional porrada (knee surgery a couple years ago and my right hip is starting to ask for a replacement), wife unit works properly…

A very normal life, you know.

BTW, do you use IG? Mine is @demetrio_c_s if you’d like to keep contact.

I still can take some ukemi :slight_smile:

I’ve got an account, I’ll link up.

Still too wet and cold here to plant potatoes !