Drag=Black Face

The Last Leg is disabled people mocking themselves rather than ables pretending to have cerebral palsy, so different IMO

Itā€™s one thing to mock someone for what they do, and another to mock someone for who they are

The whole premises of drag is ā€œsee how ridiculous women are. How they look, how they behaveā€. Rather than ā€œthis woman did something foolish and hilarity ensuedā€

1 Like

Riddle me this, which of the two sides of your equation has a long history of racism in the United States.

Ok. But I as a non disabled person laughed along at their jokes like the monster I am.

I think either could be seen as misogynist. So say your idiot female character in a 50,s sit com is mocked for what they do. Which is still preying on a stereotype.

Drag has a long history of misogyny all around the world

Your point beingā€¦?

You big drama queen

That is true, the female impersonator could be misogynistic, that depends on the script/direction

Monty Python used female impersonation without becoming misogynistic

I argue that drag is inheritantly misogynistic. The only reason it functions as humour is due to the misogynistic tropes that it embodies

1 Like

Obscene parody? Drag is a joke, itā€™s pantomime. At worst itā€™s bad taste cabaret. My step brother has been a drag act since the mid 90ā€™s and in every show the performers were almost always gentle trans-gay men who could express themselves in a ludicrous, glitzy format. There was never any intent to insult women, in fact that was the last thing they ever wanted. Whilst thatā€™s one example I havenā€™t seen any reason to suggest that the drag scene is much different in other countries.

Iā€™m just bemused at the wokeā€™s ability to be so puritanical in its approach to being offended. The Rocky Horror Picture Show must be a nightmare to these people.

Itā€™s only a joke

A bit of harmless fun

Thatā€™s the rhetoric employed by black face apologists

And I am sure many of the people that blacked up for Minstrel shows were ā€œreally nice guysā€

Thatā€™s hardly the point

Being anti drag isnā€™t ā€œwokeā€ as you put it

Quite the opposite

Women that speak up are often silenced be an Internet pile on

Incidentally, Rocky Horror doesnā€™t really contain drag

It contains transvestisism

Well, you know what they say: Itā€™s just a step to the left, and then a jump to the right.

1 Like

Where do effeminate gays fall into this?

1 Like

Personally I keep sexual preference separate

Transvestisism isnā€™t a gay thing, though there is obvious cross over

IMHO, as a non professional, I would suspect people who can only express themselves via drag to have/had a problematic relationship with their mother or some other strong significant female

Campness, I seen more as emulation than parody

Agreed, I think if we split those who genuinely practice cross dressing as part of their identity from those who do it to be cheeky.

Chris lilly did both. Dressed up in black face and girl face in pretty much the exact same sort of satire.

It would be interesting to see if one offended and one did not. Or both or none or something.

I think Iā€™m conditioned to wince when I see black face

I ask myself "is it vital to the performance? "

Mostly I donā€™t think it is

Woman face doesnā€™t give me the same gut reaction until it becomes quite extreme and stylised, and spiteful I suppose

Guess Iā€™m a hypocrite or something

1 Like

I am looking forward for a reboot of Ms.Doubtfire with Robert Downey Jr

![https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OGC.f339c9ffa39f1a1c6483b47e5a94ccab&pid=Api&rurl=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.giphy.com%2Fmedia%2FYLghfz0W895Ty%2Fgiphy.gif&ehk=u6nB1RUn6sNdmON2qjVN5sXCx%2Fk3EEDlIMrVf0Q8Cy0%3D]

Thinking even in crowdfunding it

First Tropic Thunder

Now this!!!111

Someone will be offended by something at sometime. SJWā€™s gonna hate, hate, hate.

The term, in european Spanish, is ofendiditos

3 Likes