Arguing with Idiots: a Brief Guide

Ouch, I’ll have to read that whole report but this is like saying Indians culturally appropriated Hollywood.

By the way, this was really what I wanted to convey about Yoga Nidra, the part about the evidence that it helps soldiers suffering from PTSD along with a whole range of things like (haha|) NREM delta wave sleep I have been recently deprived of.

Believe it or not, Steve Mix (admitted insomniac) is who led me to this, because he mentioned some sort of military “training technique” he heard about on Facebook that supposedly helped servicepeople fall asleep in loud spots. Turns out its based in fact.

Scientific evidence

At well-equipped laboratories Swami Rama demonstrated conscious entry into NREM delta wave sleep through yoga nidra, whereas his disciple was able to demonstrate delta and theta waves even with eyes open and talking.[16]

Yoga nidra meditation is associated with increased endogenous dopamine release in the ventral striatum of the brain.[17] The reduced desire for action in the state is associated with the reduced flow of blood in parts of the brain connected with controlling actions, the prefrontal cortex, the cerebellum and the subcortex.[17]

Yoga nidra improves heart rate variability, a measure of balance in the autonomic nervous system, whether or not it is preceded by a session of hatha yoga asanas.[18]

The regular practice of yoga relaxation has been found to reduce tension and anxiety. The autonomic symptoms of high anxiety such as headache, giddiness, chest pain, palpitations, sweating and abdominal pain respond well. It has been used to help soldiers from war cope with posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD).[19] A 2019 study suggests that yoga nidra can alleviate stress and improve self-esteem of university students.[20]

I agree you have a lot more experience being committed than I do

2 Likes

Like, to an institution?

No, that’s for people who swing around chain saws doing San Soo quan fa.

I love Steve Mix.

In my experience, military falling asleep in loud areas is because you are exhausted, and white noise doesn’t require any mental processing, it’s just “there.” No yoga, no mystical ethnic Indians required.

1 Like

I think this was the article he was referring to from a couple weeks back, it’s for people who can’t sleep as opposed to people PTFO, but the PTSD part is a big deal because everyone I know with PTSD also has sleep issues, some of which have sent them to the hospital.

No Indians required (which is why I don’t see it as cultural appropriation). Nothing mystical about it, more or less a form of prone or seated meditation exercise that (according to EEG) helps improve sleep quality in hostile environments, ships, hangers etc.

Walter Reed has been using a similar method in its Specialized Care Program for years, because it works. Shitty sleep is as bad as no sleep, 6 hours is as good as 0 for most people according to a recent study.

The Independent article is a bit loose on details but this is something you can learn in minutes, but have to practice for at least a few weeks to notice a difference. Here’s an older (2008) ref:

DUDE!

This is a new area of potential expertise, let it develop.

I don’t know why people want to make things so damned complicated.

Work a guy hard enough and he’ll sleep no matter what’s going on.

1 Like

You should at least cite Wikipedia when you plagiarize it.

3 Likes

I did cite it, 9 posts ago.

Keep up, slowpoke.

Is that an insult? Somebody explains? Please?

Slowpoke is an old American piece of slang that was popularized in rural communities.

It just means a guy that moves slow. A slowpoke was originally an attachment put on pigs, goats and sheep to keep them from escaping their pen and running off in to the forest.

1 Like

Appreciate that. Thanks.

Like a hobble?

A poke is also a word for a sack

Were sacks used in the slow poke?

It was less a sack and more of a leash attached to a pole.

1 Like

I need a diagram

I think wabbit was referring to the Pokemon

Sorry Doof, I’m too busy trapped exploring the NREM1-REM phases, especially shorting this particular circuit (i.e. sleep hacking).

If I make no sense, keep in mind I am busy lucid dreaming and trying to increase me theta brain wave production, in the midst of 24 hour chaos, like ancient Yogic masters.

It’s a very good system, like shaving garlic bulbs into hot olive oil instead of dropping them in whole.

How do you know this isn’t a lucid dream?

Man, you are messing with things you don’t understand.

You know who else has lucid dreams? People who don’t get enough deep sleep. Why simulate a sleep disorder?

Otherwise, don’t try to fix what isn’t broken.

Also, fuck yoga. It’s not based on science and lot of practitioners destroy major joints thinking they’re doing something healthy that is just putting undo stress on their body.

If you want to do stretches, then stretch but don’t look to ancient Asian charlatans and hucksters for answers on anything.

Yoga is a few good stretching habits drowning in an ocean of semi-dangerous snake oil.

Yogis are god damn rip off artists in a land of rip off artists. Running con game scams is the unofficial national sport of India.

Edit: Moonies, Hari Krishnas, Fakirs, yogis, gurus, thugee… motherfucker. They have so many different brands of dangerous bullshit cults run by dangerous mobster cult leaders they had to invent entirely new cults to handle the overflow.

Those motherfuckers are not interested in healing you. They only want your fucking money.

You’re wrong.

Idiot.